• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Methonal/Water Injection for economy benefit!

The latest edition of Diesel Power Mag has an article on methonal/water injection. It focuses on improving emissions but also implies power improvements, lower egt's and better fuel economy. But as with other technical articles they give very little to no actual quantifiable data. Sometimes some graphs and pictures but it would be difficult for you to justify the install based on what info they provide. I am not looking for power increases or lower egt's as I am happy with my truck for how I use it, but I would like to pick up some additional economy improvement. "Snow Performance" advertises 6-12% better fuel economy on their "Tow-Max". There are 3 or 4 major manufacturers (that I found) of methonal/water injection systems and I am wondering if anyone is using these type of systems and and found that they are getting bona-fiable increases in their mileage. What system are you using and what improvements have you seen with what kind of mixture you are using?

• Owner

Meth/water injection is all based on boost pressure so if your like myself where I only see 2-5 PSI typically I would never really use the water/meth injection. But now towing you'll see for sure but how much bonus I don't know... Johnfak (member here) is a good person to ask thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.There is a good thread on here somewhere on methanol/propane. Ill see if I can dig it up.Short answer is propane will give you much more MPG. But you have to add in the $$ for the kit and source.Methanol/h20 runs on boost for stage I,II kits but for higher end kits it runs on a 2D mapping between EGT and boost. This is to overcome high EGTS under low boost and a smoother injection rate. Prevents quenching.Methanol is also a fuel source. Just not as costly. As your injecting more liquid/fuel into the compression - you can pickup a small 5-10% mpg increase. More likely on a higher end kit - I recommend Labonte :) But you have to factor in a $500-$700 kit - plus the cost of methanol and do the calcs if you think its worth it.So bottom line - just from my own experience (2 kits) - I would only use it for EGT reduction and power increase when you go with a higher methanol (50%) mix etc.:thumb1:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Going to revive this old post.I got some play money this week. Tax refund that was not expected to be as large as it was.So guess what I am thinking of now?Got this new 2005 truck that needs some goodies on it.The Snow MPG-MAX menthonal injection kit still has my eye. So does an Edge Insight guage kit. This kit has the mileage drive coach in it and I am thinking that can help keep me honest on the go pedal.Of course I would need a Smarty (or ??) as well as a new intake horn to plug the methonal nozzles into.Maybe I need to replace my stock muffler with a straight through one to reduce a little back pressure.I am looking for the best mpg that I can squeeze out of this baby. Of course I won't be able to justify any payback on stuff like this but I am interested in running a set of experiements to see what improvements if any can be obtained by these add on goodies (I mean tools).:hyper:So if I decide to go this route I will install and test things in a serial fashion so as to see if I can detect any pluses or minuses.Any thoughts on what I should or shouldn't do in making my choice of goodies or in the testing?

Going to revive this old post. I got some play money this week. Tax refund that was not expected to be as large as it was. So guess what I am thinking of now? Got this new 2005 truck that needs some goodies on it. The Snow MPG-MAX menthonal injection kit still has my eye. So does an Edge Insight guage kit. This kit has the mileage drive coach in it and I am thinking that can help keep me honest on the go pedal. Of course I would need a Smarty (or ??) as well as a new intake horn to plug the methonal nozzles into. Maybe I need to replace my stock muffler with a straight through one to reduce a little back pressure. I am looking for the best mpg that I can squeeze out of this baby. Of course I won't be able to justify any payback on stuff like this but I am interested in running a set of experiements to see what improvements if any can be obtained by these add on goodies (I mean tools).:hyper: So if I decide to go this route I will install and test things in a serial fashion so as to see if I can detect any pluses or minuses. Any thoughts on what I should or shouldn't do in making my choice of goodies or in the testing?

I just sold my methanol kit if that helps you decide. Go with propane or just make your truck as efficient as possible in other ways :)

John, I hear ya on your methanol experience. I have also looked at propane but I don't think I want to mess with that and besides I don't have a convenient place to carry the propane tank.I like to carry a slide in camper so there is no room in the bed and I am not keen on the idea of hanging it under the truck somewhere.Not sure how I'll move forward yet but the wheels are turning.:2cents:

John, I hear ya on your methanol experience. I have also looked at propane but I don't think I want to mess with that and besides I don't have a convenient place to carry the propane tank. I like to carry a slide in camper so there is no room in the bed and I am not keen on the idea of hanging it under the truck somewhere. Not sure how I'll move forward yet but the wheels are turning.:2cents: