• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cleaning Turbo Compressor Housing

post-11159-138698178895_thumb.jpgCompressor housing is pretty grimy, but I thought the blades looked ok (except for my finger prints!). Notice that the intake hose is quite clean as well as the lid to the filter box (I've never cleaned those). Here's my question: Can I carefully wipe of the filter housing and quit there? Or, do I need to clean more of the turbo unit? Why is it that the intake hose and filter box is clean and the compressor housing is not?Thanks,Eric

post-11159-13869817888_thumb.jpg

post-11159-138698178888_thumb.jpg

I would take the compressor housing off and power wash it, then use an air hose to dry it and throw it back on. I think it's hard to get a 24V HX35 housing off because of the wastegate though.

• Owner

Ok... If it looks like there its going to be dirty all the way to the manifold... I would take the time and clean all the plumbing and the intercooler too. This is a common problem with the stock air box as the box ages it start to deform and no long hold a good seal on the filter panels so the dirt starts leaking into the turbo and the rest of the engine. Looking again.. I would say the oil might be from the turbo seal... You don't have a K&N filter do you? :shrug:

Yep! It's had an oiled filter in it for the past 20K :duh:. Learning of the problems with oiled filters is why I checked the turbo. Removed the oiled filter! With that said, if the oil was from the filter, wouldn't the hose and the filter box be oily too? If it is a bad seal, what am I in for? Thanks.

• Owner

Hmmm... I know ISX is a turbo nut and can pull one apart blindfolded... :smart: As for the oil typically yes it would be all over everything... It sure shows how poor the oil media filter are if that much dirt is getting through. :duh: You might consider BHAF they don't need oil and last much longer...