• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

my owners manual calls for 75w/90 gear oil for the front and rear diff. is there any reason that you cannot use 80w 90 gear oil insted. the reason i ask is 80w 90 is plentiful. i can get it in gallon jugs, quart bottles whatever. 75w 90 only comes in quart bottle here and finding 5 in one store is almost impossible. just wondering what you guys think.:shrug:

The way I see it, the thinner oil is needed when cold so that the oil can get everywhere. When it is thicker, it might not get everywhere as well so you will have more wear on things until the oil gets warmed up.

• Like 1

The way I see it, the thinner oil is needed when cold so that the oil can get everywhere. When it is thicker, it might not get everywhere as well so you will have more wear on things until the oil gets warmed up.

i can understand that it just seems to be such asmal differance in viscosity

I been using 80w-90 for years no problem... Here is a video a shot a while back and found on the harddrive...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HvtS74RG8w

appreciate that info. nice video. how knots on the forehead until you got used to working aroung that pair hanging on the receiver?

• 1 year later...