• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Taking out the P7100

Today, I am taking the P7100 off for no apparent reason. I will have to take it off later for the tappet cover gasket so I have nothing better to do today so I'm gonna pull it, take a million pics, etc. Then I can explain some of the harder things to get pics of on the pump. I did this once before at school on an 8.3 p7100 cummins so it shouldn't be too bad. They wouldn't let me dig into the pump there though.

I'm gonna go start on it now before 7AM hits :lol:

--- Update to the previous post...

Here we go. I'd say it could be done in an hour. I had to make another gear puller since someone seemed to have taken the other one I made.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This might be a while to do anything else. Internet is down, using it by tethering phone. Can't really upload youtube stuff with it having almost no upload speed. Anyhow I got every cover taken off the P7100 and will exploit as many parts as I can. I have the delivery valve/plunger, all that stuff out as well. I put the plate in to show how the governor arm works and how to adjust it. I might have to make an ultimate video an hour long showing every single thing you can do to the pump and how stuff works.

• Like 1

Got 20 minutes so far and I haven't even got to the parts most people know. I started at the very basic basic of the pump and worked my way on to why everything was the way it is, but 20 min later and I'm still at the front half of the pump (not the AFC/fuel plate/all that crap). BUT, this will be the ultimate P7100 video. Absolutely ultimate. Hour long, make popcorn, discovery channel kinda video. :pant:

• Like 1

Video will have to wait. I was putting together a big list of things I wanted to go over and I came up with 25 things on the pump, but I didn't have enough time in a day to get to much of it. I got some of it done but I wanted to get all of it done. We are going riding I guess today is when we are leaving so last night I had to get in a hurry and throw the truck back together. Somehow it started right up :lol:

I'll take it back out on of these days and get more video. Its actually a very easy job. All you do is take 4 nuts off all the studs that bolt it to the timing case, unbolt the timing gear and pop it loose, take 1 bolt out that bolts it to a mount, and that takes care of all the bolts. Then you take the throttle cables off, oil line off, return line off (just the rubber hose needs to disconnected, the steel return line can stay on), supply line off, disconnect shutoff solenoid, and thats basically it.

I did weigh it and it is right at 49 lbs, so if you have any doubts just use a little strap and a cherry picker.

--- Update to the previous post...

Guess I should change the title on this thread since it's becoming more than just whatever it was before.

Here is a teaser pic. Shows the helix, vertical cut, timing notch (215 pump only). That is the plunger as seen through the front secondary fuel supply hole.

Posted Image

Well for one the timing is really retarded. I put it together really fast and turned the engine backwards to hit my TDC mark, I didn't think the backlash was that significant. Apparently it is. It starts up very quick now. Takes off really nice, you can lug it a lot, but once you get over 1500 it falls on it's face. I pulled the trailer again this weekend and it was maybe 90F on the way down. It was a complete POS. Fine under 1500, absolute crap above it. I used to have an incredibly hard time hitting 900F EGT, well this time it ran at that temp the entire time. Up hills that I usually scratched the 900 mark with 15 pounds of boost, it was now at 1100 with 25-30 pounds :stuned: I'm going to see where the timing is so I can find out how retarded it really is. Somehow it still got 20.5mpg with regular driving + 150 miles on the way there with the trailer, with 648 miles out of it that means 1/3 of it was pulling the trailer.