• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Good Morning Everybody,About 4 days ago i was driving and got a check engine light, did the 3 key on procedure and found code P1693 then the check engine light was gone, went to mechanic hooked obdII scanner and found no codes. Driving back home when i got to a stop sign i exprerienced "dead pedal" and got check engine light again, and drove home at idle speed and sometimes after a few blocks it came back to normal. I hooked obd II scanner and got code "P0223" THROTTLE PEDAL POSITION SENSOR/SWITCH B CIRCUIT HIGH. I went ahead and ordered TIMBO apps sensor, received yesterday and did the voltage adjustment, started the truck and drove it for about 15 miles and was working fine and accelerating perfect and no slack. When i got home and was parking at the driveway the check engine light came back on and again i had dead pedal. Did another scan and got the same code, started the truck and it accelerates again, could it be something else besides the sensor?I did the test for DTC P0223 i found in this website and the results are as follow:Step 1. Voltage at terminal 6 brown/orange wire on apps connector is at 4.72 volts.Step 4. Voltage at terminal 2 light green/dark blue wire on apps connector is at 4.72 volts.Step 7. Resistance at terminal 4 black/yellow wire on apps connector is at 00.6 ohms. It says that if less than 5 ohms to replace apps sensor. Could it be that TIMBO sensor is bad?

• Owner

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/2566-P0223-Idle-Validation-Signals-Both-High-(Above-5-Volts)

Monitor & Set Conditions

Idle validation signals are monitored when ignition is on and engine is running. DTC P0222 may be stored if

Engine Control Module (ECM) senses no voltage signal or the same voltage from Idle Validation Switch (IVS)

No. 1 and IVS No. 2. DTC P0223 may be stored if ECM senses the same voltage from IVS No. 1 and IVS No.

[*]Accelerator Pedal Position Switch (APPS) Idle Validation Switch (IVS) No. 2 Harness Short To Ground

[*] APPS IVS No. 2 Shorted To APPS Return Circuit

[*] APPS IVS No. 2 Shorted To APPS Sensor Ground

[*] IVS No. 2 Open Between APPS And ECM Harness Connectors

[*] APPS IVS No. 1 Shorted To APPS Sensor Ground

[*] APPS IVS No. 1 Shorted To APPS Return Circuit

[*] APPS IVS No. 1 Harness Short To Ground

[*] IVS No. 1 Open Between APPS And ECM Harness Connectors

[*] IVS No. 1 Circuit Open

[*] ECM

1. Turn ignition off. Disconnect APPS harness connector. APPS is located on bracket, just above fuel

injection pump. Check for poor connection/terminal contact at APPS harness connector. Repair as

necessary. Start engine and allow engine to idle. Using DVOM, measure voltage between ground and

terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS connector. This is the IVS No. 1 circuit. If voltage is

greater than 4.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, go to step 8 .

Step 1. Voltage at terminal 6 brown/orange wire on apps connector is at 4.72 volts.

2. With engine idling, using DVOM, measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 2 (Light

Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS harness connector. This is the IVS No. 2 circuit. If voltage is 4.5 volts or

less, go to next step. If voltage is greater than 4.5 volts, test is complete.

???? So what did you get?

3. Turn ignition off. Check for continuity between ground and terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire)

on APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, go to next step. If continuity does not exist, go to step 7 .

4. Ensure ignition is off and APPS harness connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM harness

connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-

pin connector. Check for continuity between ground and terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on

APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, repair short to ground in Light Green/Dark Blue wire

between APPS and ECM. If continuity does not exist, go to next step.

Step 4. Voltage at terminal 2 light green/dark blue wire on apps connector is at 4.72 volts.

Hua??? This should be a Ohm value???

5. Ensure ignition is off. Ensure APPS harness connector and ECM harness connector are still disconnected.

Check for continuity between terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) and terminal No. 4

(Black/Yellow wire) on APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, repair short between Light

Green/Dark Blue wire and Black/Yellow wire. If continuity does not exist, go to next step.

6. Ensure APPS harness connector and ECM harness connector are still disconnected. Check for continuity

between terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) and terminal No. 1 (Black/Light Blue wire) on

APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, repair short between Light Green/Dark Blue wire and

Black/Light Blue wire. If continuity does not exist, replace and program the ECM. See appropriate

REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article.

7. Ensure ignition is off and APPS harness connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM harness

connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-

pin connector. Check continuity of Light Green/Dark Blue wire between terminal No. 2 on APPS harness

connector and terminal No. 16 on ECM harness connector. If continuity exists, test is complete. If

continuity does not exist, repair open in Light Green/Dark Blue wire between APPS and ECM.

Step 7. Resistance at terminal 4 black/yellow wire on apps connector is at 00.6 ohms.

Means the wire between the APPS and the ECM are good!

8. Turn ignition off. Ensure APPS harness connector is still disconnected. Check for continuity between

ground and terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, go to

next step. If continuity does not exist, go to step 12 .

9. Ensure ignition is off and APPS harness connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM harness

pin connector. Check for poor connection/terminal contact at ECM harness connector. Check for

continuity between terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) and terminal No. 1 (Black/Light Blue wire) on

APPS harness connector. If continuity exists, repair short between Brown/Orange wire and Black/Light

Blue wire. If continuity does not exist, go to next step.

10. Ensure APPS harness connector and ECM harness connector are still disconnected. Check for continuity

between terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) and terminal No. 4 (Black/Yellow wire) on APPS harness

connector. If continuity exists, repair short between Brown/Orange wire and Black/Yellow wire. If

continuity does not exist, go to next step.

11. Ensure APPS harness connector and ECM harness connector are still disconnected. Check for continuity

between ground and terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS harness connector. If continuity

exists, repair short to ground in Brown/Orange wire. If continuity does not exist, test is complete.

12. Ensure ignition is off and APPS harness connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM harness

pin connector. Check for poor connection/terminal contact at ECM harness connector. Repair as

necessary. Check Brown/Orange wire for continuity between terminal No. 6 on APPS harness connector

and terminal No. 1 on ECM harness connector. If continuity exists, test is complete. If continuity does not

exist, repair open in Brown/Orange wire between APPS and ECM.

[h=2]I FOLLOWED THIS INSTRUCTIONS!

DTC P0223: IDLE VALIDATION SIGNALS BOTH HIGH (ABOVE 5 V)[/h]

Description

Idle validation signals are monitored when ignition is on. DTC may be stored if Engine Control Module (ECM) senses high voltage signal from Idle Valve Switch (IVS) No. 1 and/or IVS No. 2. Possible causes are: defective Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS), defective ECM, or defective connectors or wiring.

Testing

[*]Ensure ignition is off. Disconnect APPS connector. APPS is located on bracket, just above fuel injection pump. Start engine and allow engine to idle. Using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS connector. This is the IVS No. 1 circuit. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, go to step 4 .

[*]Shut engine off. Ensure APPS connector is still disconnected. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, repair short to voltage Brown/Orange wire between APPS and ECM when engine is running. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector.

[*]Turn ignition off. Ensure APPS connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, replace ECM. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, repair short to voltage Brown/Orange wire between APPS and ECM when ignition is on.

[*]With engine idling, using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS connector. This is the IVS No. 2 circuit. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, go to step 7 .

[*]5. Shut engine off. Turn ignition on with engine off. Ensure APPS connector is still disconnected. Using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, repair short to voltage on Light Green/Dark Blue wire between APPS and ECM when engine is running.

[*]Turn ignition off. Ensure APPS connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage between cylinder block and terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS connector. If voltage is 5.5 volts or less, replace ECM. If voltage is more than 5.5 volts, repair short to voltage on Light Green/Dark Blue wire between APPS and ECM when ignition is on.

[*]Ensure ignition is off and APPS connector is still disconnected. Measure resistance between cylinder block and terminal No. 4 (Black/Yellow wire) on APPS connector. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, go to next step. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, replace APPS.

[*]Ensure ignition is off and APPS connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Measure resistance between terminal No. 1 (Black/Light Blue wire) on APPS connector and terminal No. 11 (Black/Light Blue wire) on ECM connector. Measure resistance between terminal No. 4 (Black/Yellow wire) on APPS connector and terminal No. 32 (Black/Yellow wire) on ECM connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms on all circuits, go to next step. If resistance is 5 ohms or more on any circuit, repair open wire between APPS and ECM.

[*]Ensure ignition is off. Ensure APPS connector and ECM connector are still disconnected. Measure resistance between terminal No. 6 (Brown/Orange wire) on APPS connector and terminal No. 1 (Brown/Orange wire) on ECM connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open in Brown/Orange wire between APPS and ECM.

[*]Measure resistance between terminal No. 2 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on APPS connector and terminal No. 16 (Light Green/Dark Blue wire) on ECM connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, replace ECM. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open in Light Green/Dark Blue wire between APPS and ECM.

Good evening mike, thanks for responding to my post, i will get you some readings tomorrow. The instructions i followed i got them from your website and they led me to step 7. Step 4 asks for the engine to be running and the readings in volts. Thanks,Noe

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening,Hey mike, the truck is working fine, the next day i disconnected the batteries and reset the accelerator, then cleared the codes, and ever since the truck has been working fine. I already went to california and came back, and no problems, i was hauling about 7.5 tons and no problem, then on the way back i had about 7 tons and no problem. The only thing i saw is that every time i exited the freeway and came to a stop the rpms bounced up and down. Is this normal?