• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

pitman arm hitting frame

Im getting a metal to metal hit when I hit a good dip in the road. They are doing constant roadwork here and where they scrape the road out a few inches my truck hits metal to metal where the road gets higher again. I have crawled under the truck and the only place I see shiny metal is on the frame crossmember under the oil panand I can feel nicks cut into the tie rod that connects to the pitman arm. I wonder if a 1" dropped pitman arm would fix this and why its just now happening?

Sway bar bushings hae been shot for years but track bar is new 3rd gen style, although it never happened with the old one. I thought it was the track bar too but the tie rod at the pitman arm is the only thing showing wear. Also, dont know if its connected but my truck sets 1/2 lower on the passengers side from front to back. I know it doesnt sound like much but its been driving me crazy.

Im getting a metal to metal hit when I hit a good dip in the road. They are doing constant roadwork here and where they scrape the road out a few inches my truck hits metal to metal where the road gets higher again. I have crawled under the truck and the only place I see shiny metal is on the frame crossmember under the oil panand I can feel nicks cut into the tie rod that connects to the pitman arm. I wonder if a 1" dropped pitman arm would fix this and why its just now happening?

It shouldn't even be close enough to touch the cross-member. you can verify by like.. put something like a blob of anti-sieze on the cross member where it's "shiny" and drive it around. Then, check to see f any anti-sieze has made it's way to the pitman arm via contact.. That'll tell you if it's actually hitting it or not. If it is, something's seriously wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I put grease on the crossmember and after I felt the hit there was grease on the draglink that hooks to the pitman arm. I think its a combo of a heavy bumper/winch and 250k on springs. It started sagging a little to the passenger side and its just to close to the crossmember. Im gonna swap my springs around and see if I get a lean to the driver side, if so I will just order a set of lift springs. If not im gonna have to dig deaper. I have measured 10 different ways and cant figure out why its leaning. Its only about 1/2" but its noticable.