• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5.9 TD won't Crank..... Any ideas?

rvaughn801

So far I have tried the following:1) Charge and test the battery at NAPA -- battery tests out "Good"2) Test starter at NAPA -- spins easily, sounds good3) Removed starter solenoid cover -- oil on contacts, contacts and plunger are pitted. Cleaned and sanded contacts4) Clean and tighten battery terminals5) Clean main engine groundThe only idea I have left is to remove the positive cable and ohm it out to see if it has a broken connection.The starter contacts do not look like new, and are probably 8 years old. Is it possible the starter will run for NAPA but won't on the truck because of contacts?Thanks in advance for your help.

0V at solenoid terminal when in START position. Do you mind giving me some pointers on how this works? Is this likely an electrical problem with the ignition switch? I see a rod moving when I turn the key. All the accessories work when the switch is ON, and the accessories go off when the key is turned to START.Looking online at the part picture, I think I replaced this part several years ago :neutral:

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.I found several pics of a starter relay, but haven't found one on the truck. Could I get a hint where this is located?On the right side of the wiring diagram is a rectangle marked "31". Is this a fuse or fusible link? Any idea where this is located?Thanks again.

From the starter relay connector (starter relay removed), I have 12V when the key is in START on the yellow wire, from the ignition switch. I also have continuity from the starter relay connector to the starter solenoid terminal (brown wire). So the starter relay ($12) is suspect, and I will replace that next. It looks to be original. and I haven't replaced it in the last 10 years.