• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Start

jlwelding

I have had this 05 now for about 8 months and it really gripes me that my 01 will fire right up, half a turn and she fires right off. The 05 on the other hand takes several turns of the eng to start, what the heck is up with that? I usually miss the start up and have to hit it again the second time.

• Owner

Injectors are most likely failing (really common)... Time to have them tested... What happens is the injectors start to hang open and bleed and loose rail pressure during starting making it difficult. While this is occuring the injector is spraying down the cylinder walls with diesel fuel all the time. Why you alway see CR engines being rebuilt at 200K miles... Like I said have those injectors tested... If only a few are leaking replace them all... Because the others will be right behind them.You not going to be happy with the cost of replacement either... :spend:

:stuned: This truck only has 40k on it. If I do a consumption test on it will it reveal more or you think I need to have them tested out of the truck?Second question, how hard is it to pull injectors on a CR? I have pull them and replaced on my 01, oh, 10 times at least :lmao:.I guess what I am asking is what is different.

• Owner

Call around first and see which way you want to test them either going to a Dodge Dealer and having a leak down test done or by pulling and having them bench tested.As for removal there are nearly the same as the 24V but you got 2 wire on top and near to carefully pry them up out of the holes (no bolt hole for pulling like 24v - Sorry!) There is actually a special tool to remove them but I've heard of people carefully prying them up and out...Dumb question? Do you have any error codes? Hows the fuel pressure too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

It's more than likely normal. A common rail does not know where the crank is when it first goes to start. There has to be enough time for the ECM to learn the crank position and then fire the appropriate injectors. An non-common rail doesn't take as long since the pump is timed and will push fuel to the proper cylinder instantly. Based on your initial description I do not think it's the hard start associated with failing injectors.

• Like 1