• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello All I have a Scangauge. I am wondering how accurate the boost reading is compared to a mechanical gauge. .....edit.... Ok, I just had another thought......So let me backtrack a bit.....I just bought a PowerPuck and an Quadzilla boost fooler (it plugs inline with the MAP sensor). I also just made a adjustable boost elbow and I do NOT have a mechanical boost gauge. At this point I have been watching my boost pressure via my ScanGauge. As my truck is unmodified the need to watch it at this point is for curiosity and MPG reasons only. I am planning on installing the newer goods today/this weekend, but I am now wondering if the Quadzilla boost fooler will alter my ScanGauge boost reading? Thoughts?? Thanks. Ken --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oqlhf0

Unless something has changed recently, the ScanGauge doesn't display boost directly. It displays Manifold Absolute Pressure derived from the ECM, which is boost pressure PLUS atmospheric pressure. When I was running a ScanGauge II, I found the MAP reading being displayed simply stopped increasing at some arbitrary point (I can't remember exactly what) which was well below maximum boost (stock level) even though the boost pressure was still increasing. I contacted ScanGauge about this phenomenon and they said it was the fault of the ECM's external data stream (or something to that effect). I've since switched to using an UltraGauge and it exhibits the exact same behavior. The bottom line: In my limited experience, using either a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge to monitor boost pressure is a waste of time. A good mechanical gauge is the way to go. Best regards, John L. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Yes. I know I should! (I need to kick my own ___ into gear) I do have a pyro and fuel pressure gauge so boost and trans temp are next. Thanks again for the input. I'll wait to install the elbow until I get a proper boost gauge. I did install the the PP this afternoon and it's nice. There seems to be just a bit of difference down low but in the higher rpms it goes like crazy now!! Thanks. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wsypnt Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff

Now on the CR engines the SG shows correct boost and rail pressure values...:smart:

It still shows absolute pressure, and still stops well short of peak boost (even stock). The OBDII limit is 255 kpa, which is 36.9 psi absolute, or (at sea level) 22.3 psi of boost is the most it will output. This is true for SG or UG, or any OBDII reader. The UG is supposed to take MAP minus IAT pressure for real boost, but it doesn't :mad: