• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

alt went out

my alt quit charging the other day on my 08 dodge. i replaced it and noticed the lighting bolt didnt go off when i started it up. also no charge. i got my smarty out and deleted the code. it works fine now. my question is would it ever cleared itself without the tuner deleting the codes. :banghead:

• Owner

I think codes usually clear themselfs after 3 or 4 starts of the engine after the ecm doesnt detect a problem. But someone correct me if im wrong.

I will... It will only clear codes after 40 warm up cycles. So the engine must start below 140*F and rise above 165*F to be counted as a warm up cycle. Then it must not throw that same code again or it will reset the count to zero.

• Staff

The lighting bolt is not for the alternator, it's for the Electronic Throttle Control. The Alternator malfunction lamp looks like a battery. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)This light informs you of a problem with theElectronic Throttle Control system. If a problemis detected, the light will come on while theengine is running. If the light remains lit withthe engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable,however, see your authorized dealer for service as soonas possible. If the light is flashing when the engine isrunning, immediate service is required and you mayexperience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idleor engine stall and your vehicle may require towing. Thelight will come on when the ignition is first turned onand remain on for 15 seconds as a bulb check. If the lightdoes not come on during starting, have the systemchecked by an authorized dealer.

the only code i had was a generator code. i did not have the code you are talking about. after i changed the alt and started the truck up it was not charging. i got the smarty out and had 1 code generator something and it cleared. then i started the truck again and charge was normal. keep in mind when it quit charging i got this code and it would not clear. only after i replaced the alt.:thumbup2:

• Staff

i replaced it and noticed the lighting bolt didnt go off when i started it up.

This is what I am referring to, the lighting bolt has nothing to do with the alternator. I'm just trying to make sense of what you said happened, and you are talking about 2 different systems. It's possible the throttle light was from low voltage, but you should have had a battery looking MIL too.