• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2005 48re O/D lockout switch

ADawg

I read a write up about doing your own Lockout switch for the 2005 48re. The write up tells you to tap the 3-4 solenoid wire which is the #6 on the plug but I was wondering if anyone new the color code for the wire? Knowing me I would count to number 6 and cut the wrong wire. I read another write up about a TC lock up switch that had a diagram of plug and I think its dark green with a tan trace but I would like to confirm with you guys. I am trying to find an updated diagram but no luck. Anyways thanks for any advice :thumbup2:

I did it on mine but I dont remember the color of the wire and it is probally different between the years. The plug on the transmission is numbered so you wont have to do any counting. All you should have to do is tap into the #7 pin and run it to your switch. Then so that is doesnt throw codes I wired a 33 ohm resistor into the wire that goes to the ground. Hope that helps.

Ok cool! I did not know that the 05 did not come with a Over Drive Lock out switch. This switch will help when I go up Cedar MTN with the egt's. So you did a TC lock up switch? Cause I believe I have to tap the #6 wire. But if they are numbered then it will be all good :thumbup2:

Yes Oh please let me know before I go cutting stuff up like a meth addict looking for the next fix :lmao:

:lmao:We wouldnt want that. I didnt have time to look today at it I ended up having to help my buddy put u joints in his 06. Anyways its on the list for tomorrow.

Ok so I checked the wire this morning. It was pin #7 and the wire was yellow with a light blue stripe. The wire could be a different color on your year. The numbers are on the inside of the round plug when you take it off. Like I said just tie into that #7 wire and put a 33 ohm resistor in your wire from the switch to ground and you will have yourself a manual torque converter lock up switch.

Cool thanks! The only thing is I have a stock input shaft I have herd its not good to lock up the TC unless you have it am I wrong? Also I was looking to lock out the over drive sorry for the confusion but I may do this modification in the future. thank you for your time much appreciated :thumbup2:

Cool thanks! The only thing is I have a stock input shaft I have herd its not good to lock up the TC unless you have it am I wrong? Also I was looking to lock out the over drive sorry for the confusion but I may do this modification in the future. thank you for your time much appreciated :thumbup2:

I am planning on putting the TC lock on my 06. I would use it while I am towing and would unlock when shifting. By pulling down the column shifter to second gear it will lock the TC after a certain speed. But I had over heated the tranny while going up a steep hill in first, I am hoping that locking the TC in first when I am staying in first for a while up a steep hill will keep me from heating up. Also I want to lock third earlier.:):)

Hey Thanks for the diagram I also found one on the CF and a member who has done the mod. so I think i figured on how I am going to do it I will let you know how it goes for sure :thumbup2:Also if I was to do the TC lock up switch do I really need to have a billet input?

I always thought there was a company that made a controller to be able to turn the over drive function off on 2005 models?I found DTT makes a shift enhancer for shift quality issues and sun coast makes a lock up clutch controller but can not find any O/D off controllers.I want the ability to turn over drive off myself but do not want to go the hack and splice method. I could have sworn I read of a way a few years ago.:shrug:

I always thought there was a company that made a controller to be able to turn the over drive function off on 2005 models? I found DTT makes a shift enhancer for shift quality issues and sun coast makes a lock up clutch controller but can not find any O/D off controllers. I want the ability to turn over drive off myself but do not want to go the hack and splice method. I could have sworn I read of a way a few years ago.:shrug:

Yes BD makes a product for 200$ and ATS makes one for about 185 bucks But for 50 dollars you can do it your self in-which I will be going this route I can spend 200$ some where else on my truck.
  • Like 1

:lmao::lmao2::lol: In true ATS fashion 150 bucks for 5 bucks worth of wires and a switch.BD has the unit I was thinking of which ties into the system so as to be able to control it with the factory tow haul switch like the 06 and newer do. Push button once for tow haul and 2 more times to cancel OD.:thumb1:

Sorry for butting in here but what exactly does this mod do? I've seen it discussed a lot but I don't know if I'm grasping the full concept. Does this just keep your tranny from shifting into O/D out of 3rd? I have an 06 with a Tow Haul mode and then if I hit the button again it turns the O/D off. Is this the same thing? Again sorry, I'm just wondering if this is something I could or need to do.

Sorry for butting in here but what exactly does this mod do? I've seen it discussed a lot but I don't know if I'm grasping the full concept. Does this just keep your tranny from shifting into O/D out of 3rd? I have an 06 with a Tow Haul mode and then if I hit the button again it turns the O/D off. Is this the same thing? Again sorry, I'm just wondering if this is something I could or need to do.

You already have the ability to turn off OD so it doesn't pertain to your 2006. This thread only pertains to the 2005 year. The software doesn't allow for reprogramming to be able to turn OD off like your 2006 and newer ones do from factory. The 2003-2004 could be programmed to do it but the 05 was a different animal and couldn't be programmed to lockout OD. This thread also got off topic as they were talking about installing a torque converter lockup switch as well as the OD lockout switch.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got the switched installed last weekend and the best part it WORKS! It only took me 45 min to do with help from my bro. I also did prep work by soldering all the wires and heat shrinking them to the switch while recovering from surgery. That actually saved me a lot of time. Anyways it works very happy with it I will put it to good use when I go camping in Utah this summer :thumbup2: