• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newbie with 01 Ram 2500 24v questions

Hi all, I just bought my first diesel pick up a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 24valve auto last week. I have been lurking the forums and have found out alot of info, but have a few questions. Should I run an additive with my fuel to help lube the pump? If so what do you guys recommend? I see my first mod should be a fuel psi gauge so I will be doing it ASAP. I do a bit of drag racing and I have a Autometer gauge and a isolator so all I need is a way to hook it in between the filter housing and the inj pump. My truck has the lift pump mounted on the engine and also has had a small inline pump mounted on the frame. It looks like the same size as the metal inline fuel filters. This must just help to bring the fuel up to the lift pump. I have a holley black pump here, can I put it in place of this small booster pump? Will it boost the pressure or will the factory lift pump restrict it back so that it won't help anyway? Do I need this draw straw add on I have read about? The truck is totally stock so far, but I want to put on a 75hp chip just for mileage and I'm going to cut out the resonator and muffler. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really happy to have this truck and don't want to have any problems with it. Thanks for having me.

• Owner

Hi all, I just bought my first diesel pick up a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 24valve auto last week. I have been lurking the forums and have found out alot of info, but have a few questions. Should I run an additive with my fuel to help lube the pump?

Yes... You should..

If so what do you guys recommend?

I suggest 2 cycle oil but you can look at the HFRR score sheet and choose a low HFRR score additive Bosch requires fuel score of less than 450 to be suitable.

Posted Image

I see my first mod should be a fuel psi gauge so I will be doing it ASAP.

Yes...

I do a bit of drag racing and I have a Autometer gauge and a isolator so all I need is a way to hook it in between the filter housing and the inj pump.

That will meet the requirements... But I would keep a second line or gauge handy for testing the gauge again when the pressure falls isolators fail more often than gauges do...

My truck has the lift pump mounted on the engine and also has had a small inline pump mounted on the frame. It looks like the same size as the metal inline fuel filters. This must just help to bring the fuel up to the lift pump. I have a holley black pump here, can I put it in place of this small booster pump? Will it boost the pressure or will the factory lift pump restrict it back so that it won't help anyway?

Don't double stack lift pumps you'll distroy the factory lift pump in a short order. It will force the check ball regulator out of the socket internally. I highly suggest you just ditch both pumps and just get a AirDog, FASS, or a Raptor and be done.

Do I need this draw straw add on I have read about?

Only if your fuel pump requires it. Typically the 100 GPH don't but the 150/165 GPH should...

The truck is totally stock so far, but I want to put on a 75hp chip just for mileage

Get something that taps the VP44 you'll get better timing curve and better MPG. All other boxes tend to play by the ECM rules.

and I'm going to cut out the resonator and muffler. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really happy to have this truck and don't want to have any problems with it. Thanks for having me.

I've been stright piped 3" for the life of the truck and no issues for power, MPG, noise, or towing (egt's).

No problem... That what we are here for try and help you learn and get what you want... :wink:

• Like 1