• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've owned my truck for a couple months now. Ever since I owned it, the red BRAKE light has flashed in a timed manner repeatedly until I release the parking brake. One time sitting on a hill with the tailgate facing downhill, I parked in neutral, set the brake and the truck slowly started creeping backwards. Only happened once, and I park on that same hill all the time at my moms house. Since then I'm always very cautious to make sure my wheel is turned sharply incase the brake would let go. However, just recently, the blinking light continues to stay on and blink while driving. Now I've never worked on brakes ever, so I'm unfamiliar with them, but I've learned the blinking means it is parking brake related, not ABS or anything like that. The only thing I changed in that area was when I zip tied my Edge wires up around there... but I looked with the brake on and off, no wires are pinching, or blocking anything, and the pedal feels exactly the same as it did when I bought it. Feels very similar to my 2000 V10's brake, which had nothing wrong with it. Any ideas on what to look at? Remember I probably need some detail (pics would be awesome) since I've never dabbled in brakes before. Thanks guys.

The next time you release it, reach down and pull up on the pedal while holding the release lever and see if it goes out. Ther should be some sort of switch there to controll the light and if the pedal does not return all the way the lihgt will stay on. As far as the creeping, they pobably need a little adjustment.

It doesn't really creep up, it actually flips up pretty well. Lets say I go out there and pull up on it and the light goes off... what does that mean when it's still flashing when the brake is engaged? The only difference between now and a couple days ago, is that it continues to blink while driving.Also, this may be a seperate issue that I post about later, but I have noticed at least for the first few minutes of driving, that the truck feels like it's being "held back" a little. And I mean VERY little, just enough so that the RPM's start to go up in "increments" rather than one smooth motion. I can't tell yet if maybe the brake is sticking a little while driving for a few minutes, or if it has something to do with my VP wire not being tapped into by the Juice yet. It fades away after driving for a while, so I can't tell if it stops when the motor is warmed up, or when the tires have rolled far enough to be freed from the brake (if it's sticking)

FIRST thing to do is go under the truck on the driver's side & check the e-brake connector where the front section & the wheel sections are connected. Mine rusted very badly & when some repair tech stood on the e-brake it failed, leaving my e-pedal flopping around like a fish out of water. While you are there, check the 2 rear wheel cables for return action.Your 02 should be the same as my 01.5... rear "discs" but the emergency brakes are a small set of rear drums inside the discs.

Went to the gym tonight, pulled up on the pedal as I held in the release handle, and the light disappeared and stayed off. So obviously the pedal isn't fully returning on it's own. But the when the brake is applied, it still flashed in a timed manner. I haven't had a chance to get someone out there with me to hit the pedal when I look underneath. But if this new info points towards an adjustment of some sort that I can do on my own, I'll try that first. Remember to post some pics if you have them available, or just try to be as detailed as possible so I know what I'm looking to do. Thanks guys

Here is a good read on adjusting the shoes, http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/23-brake-system/33-emergency-brake-parking-brake-adjustment There is a slack adjustment on the cable along the drivers side frame rail forward of the rear wheel. The cable might need some dry lubricant like graphite. It doesnt have to be graphite, just be sure it is a dry lubricant. A wet lubricant will attract dirt and aggravate the problem.