• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alright, so I was giving this a though and tried to think of where I could get my hands on one ofr the dodge. I fancy the custom bumpers for our trucks and like the thought of being able to have a winch setup and some extra protection while going in the mountains.

Looking at some sites, I find that the bumpers are expensive for my liking. even if I can get a winch on them, would I even be able to put a plow on as well? I'm looking at getting a plow in the future as well and would not prefer to have to keep switiching between the two.

I'm considering making my own bumpers at this rate...

--- Update to the previous post...

What, nobody wants to play with me?! :cry:

Not sure how heavy a bumper you are looking for but I have a Warn Trans4mer winch bumper on my 2nd gen.I paid about $400 a few years back and don't know what it would cost today, but it is a very heavy bumper with brush guards for the lights and comes in black or chrome. It protrudes out front of the stock bumper. Easily made out of 1/4 plate.The price was way cheaper than some of the custom bumpers (that would handle a winch) that I looked at as potential options.It turned out to be a very practical application to add my winch.

Something along these lines: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/lwe772002/PDR_0564-1.jpg But I want to still be able to access the engine bay and climb up on it and can sit. Also have accomodations for a winch. Probably put in some tow hooks or do some tabs that will take clevices. OR maybe just get a winch setup that is on a hitch so I could put the winch on front or back and just put a receiver in the front. ..... oooooOOOhhh the possibilities! :evilgrin:

mine i built by hand with 1/4" 2x4 boxed and welded to the frame with 5/8" plate as the winch mount and .180 2" tube for the bumper. it houses a warn 16.5TI (16,500lb single line pull) total cost for material $75

Thats pretty sweet! I dunno if mine will be that cheap. Material cost has gone up alot.... I would like to get some 1/4" plate cut on a CNC then do some 2" tube and diamond plate. Then hit it all with a bedliner of some sort.

The ranch that I work on lets us use their shop, so I had some extra metal around, purchased some more metal and built my own. It is not exactly how I wanted it, but it is close and it will do the job I made it for, mainly keeping animals out of my radiator. I looked at a lot of other bumpers, seen what I liked and started fabing it. post-10349-138698188083_thumb.jpgI do have room for a winch in the future if I want to put one on, but there are a lot of other things to do before that, but like I said, I did research and found what I wanted and thought of what I might add in the future and built accordingly.

post-10349-138698188053_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188063_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188071_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! I had an idea to build one along the lines like yours. I will probably add some tabs in the front for some clevices though. I cannot fathom why in the ever-cotton-pickin world, dodge did not add tow hooks in the front! :banghead:So, did you use a 220 welder or 110?

I would have liked to have added clevices but I could not find any. I am sure if I looked around I could have found some. The ranch has a 220 wire feed welder. It is nice to have some of the right tools like a plasma cutter and oxy/acetylene, but we could have used a pipe bender also. I just took my time, made several fittings and it turned out pretty good.

I would have liked to have added clevices but I could not find any. I am sure if I looked around I could have found some. The ranch has a 220 wire feed welder. It is nice to have some of the right tools like a plasma cutter and oxy/acetylene, but we could have used a pipe bender also. I just took my time, made several fittings and it turned out pretty good.

Yes, a metal chop saw and hydraulic pipe bender would be something I would LOVE to add to my arsenal...