• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto tranny problem

My trucks has been shifting funny, last night I thought it was going in and out of OD to drive. Today it seemed ok when i was just driving it normally around normally, but i was messing with shifting it on a flat streach of road and if I turn off the OD i can tell it goes into drive, but if i manually put it into 2nd itll rev for a second and then its like being in neutral, but if i manually put it into first I can tell it drops into first and revs. And its the same starting from a stop. If i put the truck manually into first and pull out i can tell its in first, then if i shift to second its like hitting neutral, and then when i manually put it into drive you can tell it goes into drive and then od. I scanned it and its not pulling any codes up. So is my 2nd gear fried and i need the tranny rebuilt or could it be a computer issue but not have a code.

I have plenty of power, and i have a fuel gauge on the low side and i have 15lbs or so which is normal for my truck, and my inj pump is only about a yr old, not saying that it couldnt go in a year, but its acting more like shifting problems then fuel.

I have plenty of power, and i have a fuel gauge on the low side and i have 15lbs or so which is normal for my truck, and my inj pump is only about a yr old, not saying that it couldnt go in a year, but its acting more like shifting problems then fuel.

:lmao:

:lmao:

Dont need your sarcasim.... and ive of used a cute little icon but they dont have one waving with just one finger

--- Update to the previous post...

No.

Line pressure of your transmission.

Not fuel.

LOL I dont know why I didnt think of that! i wonder if my friend has a gauge for that, do you have any idea what the pressure should be?

You need a copy of the FSM and if your using an aftermarket VB you need their specs.AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 47RE 21 - 661(1) Turn OD switch off.(2) Leave vehicle on hoist and leave Gauge C-3292in place at accumulator port.(3) Move Gauge C-3293-SP over to front servo portfor this test.(4) Have helper start and run engine at 1600 rpmfor this test.(5) Move transmission shift lever two detents rearwardfrom full forward position. This is D range.(6) Read pressures on both gauges as transmissionthrottle lever is gradually moved from full forward tofull rearward position:² Line pressure at accumulator in D range thirdgear, should be 54-60 psi (372-414 kPa) with throttlelever forward and increase as lever is moved rearward.² Front servo pressure in D range third gear,should be within 3 psi (21 kPa) of line pressure up tokickdown point.My understanding on a STOCK VB is you want the line pressure to hold between 50-90psi (higher for modified VB).If line pressure is good you want to check the servo/pistons that help apply the bands.If they are working then adjust the bands to spec.Beyond that - I dont think you can really tell unless you pull it apart.Have you dropped the pan ? Anything in it and what is condition of fluid ? And also have you made sure you have enough fluid.

(My understanding on a STOCK VB is you want the line pressure to hold between 50-90psi (higher for modified VB)

they suggest higher pressure but all i have is a stock lift and thats what it does.

Thanks I'll look into checking the pressure.

--- Update to the previous post...

As for the smiley yea we've got one... :nono::wink:

Thats not the one I was thinking of....