• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Harmonic Dampener

Okay, so I gotta get the dampener off to fix my crank seal. I do not remember it being so hard! I do not have a barring tool and it would be 4 days out at the earliest. I do not have that kinda time to wait. Is there anything I can do to break the bolts free?I thought about whether or not I could put it into Drive and break them that way. Would that work?

Either take the inspection cover off for the flex plate or take the barring tool plug out the front passenger side of the bell housing and stick a bar in the ring gear teeth to hold it. Would be easier to have an extra person to hold the flywheel to crack the bolts loose.

Either take the inspection cover off for the flex plate or take the barring tool plug out the front passenger side of the bell housing and stick a bar in the ring gear teeth to hold it. Would be easier to have an extra person to hold the flywheel to crack the bolts loose.

So putting it in Drive won't work?

Its an automatic. No matter what gear you put it in the flexplate and converter still spins freely with the engine, its a fluid coupler drive system. Its not like a manual tranny which is mechanically coupled to the engine.

Haha, its been a long day. I got under the truck, took off the inspection plate for the transmission, and "BING"! :duh: Then I remember its along these lines and thats why it won't work. I just grabbed the wife and had her hold a prybar on the flywheel as I broke the dampener bolts. Worked reaaaalllly well! I'll be doing it that from now on. Hopefully will be one of my last times having to do it!