• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rubbing through steering wheel

Hey guys I have a little issue that I'm not sure how to determine where it's coming from exactly. Every time I round my cul-de-sac (sharp left turns at low speed basically) I get a rubbery feeling vibration through the steering wheel. Doesn't make a whole lot of noise, just a feel. It started out as a quick, sudden thing, but now happens for about the entire first rotation of the steering wheel. I'm not sure where to start looking and probably wouldn't know what exactly to look for even if I did. I have been thinking about buying the Rock Solid Ram steering bushing to tighten up the wheel a tad, should I do this and see if it still happens?

Hey guys I have a little issue that I'm not sure how to determine where it's coming from exactly. Every time I round my cul-de-sac (sharp left turns at low speed basically) I get a rubbery feeling vibration through the steering wheel. Doesn't make a whole lot of noise, just a feel. It started out as a quick, sudden thing, but now happens for about the entire first rotation of the steering wheel. I'm not sure where to start looking and probably wouldn't know what exactly to look for even if I did. I have been thinking about buying the Rock Solid Ram steering bushing to tighten up the wheel a tad, should I do this and see if it still happens?

Are your tires rubbing? Mine will not rub if I am on level ground, but will if I turn really tight and my suspension is compressed much.

I hope not. I don't see how they would. They are factory size tires, with aftermarket Pro Comps. The previous owner put them on so I'm not sure what the specs are. However I can say the offset brings the tire about flush with fender flares. So if anything, I would think the tires would be even further away from rubbing anything than the factory rims. Also, I'm turning on just about completely flat ground so there isn't any suspension flex during it.

Power steering reservoir full? I had a similar feeling when I got my 2000. If it got really hot (summers in the desert) it would puke out fluid and generally act like manual steering sometimes.I would change the fluid in the reservoir and it would usually act better for a while, but then start being difficult again. Do the brakes feel rubbery as well during the turn? They are boosted by the ps pump as well.

PS and brake fluid are full, well actually brake fluid was almost an inch under the full mark, so that needs topped off. I noticed a little bit of rust accumulating on the u-joint on the intermediate shaft, and what looks like dirty oil vapor build up on the spring on the steering shaft. The spring that get replaced when you install the Rock Solid bushing. So maybe I should scrape up the 60 bucks or so for this bushing and see where it takes me before I get too involved in expensive parts... wallet still hurts a little from the fuel pumps I recently did.

• Owner

PS and brake fluid are full, well actually brake fluid was almost an inch under the full mark, so that needs topped off. I noticed a little bit of rust accumulating on the u-joint on the intermediate shaft, and what looks like dirty oil vapor build up on the spring on the steering shaft. The spring that get replaced when you install the Rock Solid bushing. So maybe I should scrape up the 60 bucks or so for this bushing and see where it takes me before I get too involved in expensive parts... wallet still hurts a little from the fuel pumps I recently did.

What color is the PS fluid? :shrug:

It was pretty dark. I shined a light in the reservoir and it LOOKED green, but I think that was my light. When I wiped the cap off, it was more of REALLY dark red, almost black color. I threw the towel away but I'll go check it again incase I'm just forgetting what I saw.

--- Update to the previous post...

Hm, you know what, I think it actually is green. Almost like a coolant green color. Pretty dark too. I always thought PS was clear or red in color. I'm thinking it maybe time to change out the fluid.

--- Update to the previous post...

Follow up question: does anyone have a sure-fire way of flushing the PS fluid properly? I googled it and found some vague results with different people saying different ways but never actually explaining how to remove the old fluid completely. Basically just saying things like "it SHOULD work" or "it SHOULD get the fluid pretty clear". Is there a proper way to flush it or not?

PS fluid should tan to honey color. Never black. As for flushing here is a 3rd Gen method but it works. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/3rd-generation-dodge-cummins/53-engine-system/119-power-steering-flush

However, I take it we are not called to run ATF+4 in the PS system as mentioned for the 3rd gen? I wonder if it would hurt the seals.

• 5 months later...

Did you ever find the problem and solution to this rubbing noise 02cumminsdude? I have the same thing going on. My noise generates at the center of the steering wheel and sounds like the noise you hear when you pull the drinking straw out through the hole of the lid in a large 32oz soda cup. Errrrrrrrrrrk.

My steering system is 100% fine otherwise. It only happens to me when truck is going very slow or at a standstill while I am turning left or right. It is so weird, I can't figure it out. Anyway, I hope you got yours fixed.