• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2003 Dodge with 633k miles and still going.

• 1 month later...

idk... with my bury machine you do oil every 60 hours but the hydro fluid is only changed 300hours and the hydro filter was 150hours... oil doesn't "break down" like they try to sell on TV... it only becomes contaminated(by blow-by,water,etc). i still maintain that proper maintenance is changing fluids when necessary. nothing wrong changing sooner, but next to no benefits unless the fluid needs to be changed...the medium duty market gets 500k all the time...and most of it is regular dino!

You guys have made my point the dodge with 633k went 40k on Amsoil no by-pass just Amsoils 2-EAO 80 filter which filters at 16 microns. The fact buying better oil does make a difference IMO high milage is attainable with good oil & good filteration. The poster using a by-pass filter with other oil just shows filtering the oil does helps you go longer on oil and drain intervals if he used Amsoil for instance and the bypass he could go 30k or more.Bill

I ran the first 500k on my tuck with 20k miles changes. I only went to 10k intervals recently. I just took the heads off my truck and everything looks great. I don't think I made your point though. I never tried to run my oil for 40k so there is no comparison. I think my 750k miles proves longevity from normal oil. As your 633 may prove longevity also. I pay about 10 a gallon for oil and 12 per filter. Amsoil is about 30 a gallon and 25 a filter. So in that scenario I am at 42 a change and amsoil is 140. If you are to look on the amsoil sight they reccomend changing the oil at the longest of the factory intervals which is 15k miles. I believe that if synthetic oil was better the big rig guys would use it. Their trucks go 2 million miles. They use regular oil.

If you are to look on the amsoil sight they reccomend changing the oil at the longest of the factory intervals which is 15k miles.

I am not looking to argue Amsoil recommends 25k. Go here in the service life on my web site and here is Amsoils. There are a lot of big rigs using it FYI. Go to my front page www.freeoilhelp.com There are several articles the Mack truck, refuse hauler using the DT466 the 8.2% is on class 8 trucks. There are more that is just a few. I have a 7.3 I have went 38k on one oil change with oil samples to justify that. It can be done the cost I look at the cost as it is worth it to me. You are obviously very particular or you would not have a truck doing so well. Well Done Bill

I worked on a local farmer/truckers Freightliner for a few years, He had 1.3 million miles on the truck, 3406B cat engine, He had owned it since it had 100k mile on it, He was a Schaeffers oil dealer and its what he was using in it and had never done 1 single oil change in 1.2 million miles. every 10k he changed the oil filters and topped off the oil about 2 gallons per filter change. He wanted to pull the pan to check main and rod bearings and to my and his surprise they looked like brand new yet.:eek: So they went back in and it is still running to this day.

wow!i hear a lot of rig guys say, put synthetics everywhere but the motor. a lot of people around here believe that longer intervals can be bad. for the money, most would rather drain and fill. they argue the cost per mile. i have used both and would recommend using what ever cummins says to use(goes for fuel also).

He is not the only one, many people are using that process now and even most syn mfgs and OEM engine builders are recommending that process. All the oil eventually gets changes out anyhow via the filter changing. Lots of new Offroad equipment never get the oil changed at all, it meters so much used oil into the fuel tank and has a clean oil tank that refills the crankcase through a metering process. Just change filters every X amount of hours and keep the new oil reservoir full. Its called oil renewal system on CAT equipment.