• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got my gauges in and swapped on the HX35 couple questions

So I got my HX35 swapped on tonight and what a difference!!! I thank all you guys that told me to swap off the old HY before buying injectors. I got my new glowshift pillar gauges on last night so I thought I would see how much boost I was getting with the HY35. The max I could get was around 17psi. Tonight I swapped on the HX35 and installed the pyro probe. The turbo already has a boost elbow in it. On my test drive I was seeing 25 psi and that was on a flat section of road full throttle. My pyro was climbing to around 950 when pinned to the floor. Does that sound about right? I'm running a Superchips D box will it fool the ECM and allow the 25 psi+ boost or will I throw a code eventually? How high can I get the boost with the elbow before I run into issues? I don't need ridiculous boost just want to keep my EGTs low when towing. Lastly I know you guys like to run your trans temp on the outlet to the cooler, but that isn't an option for me right now. I'm going to put it in the test port on the right side of the trans. I saw something about using an extender on the probe. Can't I just thread the sender right into the trans? I will use the center port not the servo ports. Thanks guys.

• Owner

My pyro was climbing to around 950 when pinned to the floor. Does that sound about right?

For stock its about right it might vary depending on elevation and grades.

I'm running a Superchips D box will it fool the ECM and allow the 25 psi+ boost or will I throw a code eventually?

If the Superchips is programming properly it shouldn't throw any codes no matter how high the boost gets.

How high can I get the boost with the elbow before I run into issues?

35 PSI is as far as you want to go with a HX35 turbo.

Can't I just thread the sender right into the trans?

No. Because the tip of the sender will hang up the piston in the cylinder behind the test port. Best to be in the trans line or pan if you can. I wish I can find the article about that over on www.Idahoturbodiesels.com

Thank you for answering all my questions, I'm so glad I found this forum. I didn't think there was a piston behind the center plug. The front one is the 2nd gear servo and the rear one is the low reverse. I figured the middle one was just a pressure test location. I guess I can make my own extender with a nipple and a collar. I just got back from driving it a bit more. There's a solid 25psi boost and my pyro never went over 1000F on a steep climb pinned to the floor. The silencer ring has been removed from this turbo. I might put the one in from my HY if it fits. I'm not sure I like the noise that much. Now I'm saving up for some RV275s....does it ever end :)

• Owner

I wasn't sure about the trans port your going to use so I typically suggest against directly inserting the probe in an port. Don't want to block a piston from moving or restrict fluid flow. So if you create a small extender with brass then I think you'll be OK.Like you I replace my silencer ring as well I wasn't to found of listening to the whistling turbo towing over steep grades with trailer in tow. Personally I would look towards a performance module like Edge Comp or such that give you control over your fuel. Because RV275 will boost fuel and power slightly but you'll still have no control to it other than your foot. It nice to have performance box for the day of snow or muddy roads where you can retard the fuel flow to aid in traction. Things to consider. :wink:

Nice good to know, just installed my hx the other day, i threw the ez back on cause comp is at edge, and the boost was a little laggy, but came on strong, i can definitely tell in the exhaust note that i have a bigger exhaust turbine than the hy. I have my trans temp in the pan, but i did run it in the front test port on passenger side going off an article i saw in diesel power mag, hope i didn't block anything when i did that. With the ez maxed out at 25psi, but you can really hear the hx over the hy, and i will never need more than 30 psi, im not racing lol. It always seemed to me the hy spooled up, but didn't pull like the hx i have now.

This is what you don't want to happen... :nono: So be careful of where you put it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I saw that very picture. I put mine in the hole where that second sensor is, but I put a nipple and collar on it just to be sure. I'm going to put it in the pan the next time I have it off.

• 7 months later...