• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ABS question

Hi all! I have an issue thats been bothering me. Every now and then my ABS will activate. At first I thought I hit loose stones or an oil patch but that's not the case. Does it pulling a trailer or not and I switched to a new brake controller that's supposed to be ABS friendly. Sometimes I can make it happen by pushing very lightly on the pedal. If I push hard on the pedal it will go away. It only seems to do it at the very begining of the pedal travel when I push down lightly. I'm thinking the sensor in the rear axle but during my search it seems the speedometer usually goes wacko if that goes bad. My speedometer is fine. Anyone have any ideas? :shrug:Thanks

• Owner

Front sensors. If you replace then do it in pairs! Front sensors could be off from your rear being there is a speed difference the ABS is active trying to balance speed from front to rear which actually no off at all but the computer see a difference because of weak/bad sensors.Trailer controller has nothing to do with it. The only thing the trailer controller wants is the brake light signal so it knows you place your foot on the brakes and starts using G forces to calculate brake power to the trailer.

Ouch! Those things are half the price of a unit bearing assy. Are there any diagnostics I can perform to be sure, like unplugging them to see if the problem goes away? I forgot to mention sometimes when it happens my brake (not abs) light comes on.

• Owner

Ouch! Those things are half the price of a unit bearing assy. Are there any diagnostics I can perform to be sure, like unplugging them to see if the problem goes away? I forgot to mention sometimes when it happens my brake (not abs) light comes on.

No you can't unplug it because then that axle has 0 MPH speed and ABS is lit. The only way to test it with a DRBIII tool from the dealer or a very expensive Snap On tool that might be able to see wheel speed. Even then you might find the wrong speed sensor and replace it and then find out the new one is still offset from the other good one still tripping the ABS light. Hence why I suggest replacing both at the same time. As for prices RockAuto.com has then in stock but still $89 and $112 for left and right... :duh:

• 4 months later...