• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Normal EGT?

I recently changed injectors to 5x0.010, the truck runs great, but I had a question as to what EGT is normal for these trucks. This is what I have.1997 2500 auto 4x4; #0 plate full back (as in toward the cab); 3.55 gears; 265/75/16 tires; ranch hand bumper; AFC full back; Starwheel full forward I think that is all that would affect EGT.My EGT doing about 55-60 when climbing a relatively small hill will rise to 800 degrees easily and sometimes 900 without me accelerating. I will be doing about 7-8 psi of boost and EGT will climb rapidly. Just under normal acceleration... taking about 30 seconds to reach 60mph, egt will reach 700-800 degrees. Doing 70mph EGT will run about 700 degrees on flat and 800 up a hill pushing 10 PSI.And I have done a boost leak test.Is that normal, just seems a little hot for normal driving? It has been about 100 degrees around here, does that really make a difference?Thanks

Those injectors are actually a tiny bit under my stock 215 injectors (5 x 0.01025) so I wouldn't think that would be the culprit. You are running a little hot for an unloaded truck. But you have an auto which is geared higher meaning lower RPM's than me at a given speed. RPM pumps out heat, so if you are running (guessing here) 1800RPM at 70, then thats much lower than my 2100RPM at 70... I have a lot of RPM because of the gearing and small tires giving the engine a lot of leverage so it barely breaks a sweat. The bigger tires on yours will also add to the load, raising EGT's. I actually started a chart for this for someone like yourself. You might find it helpful. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3076-EGT-Figures-for-Reference

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just drove up a local road that is pretty steep and winding, speed ranges from 30-45mph up for about 4 miles. I am kind of disappointed in the power and EGT of my truck. I was running up to 1000 degrees unloaded, except for 6 people crammed in the cab, with about 5 -15 psi of boost. I had the tranny locked-up in 3rd. The 1000 degrees came when I was down about 1200 rpm, but most the time even doing 45 mph the egt was 800-900 degrees. It just doesn't seem like I am building enough boost for the egt climbing. What could be the reason for this? The truck was not blowing smoke except when I was pushing it in the low RPM.I know it is hard to give advice when you really can't see what and when the truck doing. I just expect more, I had more from the lightly modded 24 valve truck. I am glad that I don't have the problems that I had from the 24 valve.Thanks

If you lug it, EGT's will go way up because the engine is not "pumping" any heat out. You are putting a lot of fuel to it to try and get it to go at 1200RPM but it is a lot happier at 1600+RPM, it isn't designed to lug that low and therefore you just dump more fuel to it and it just builds more heat than it can get rid of. 5-15psi sounds about right though. It takes a lot of fuel at low RPM to build any boost because again you aren't pumping much air or heat so you have to put in a lot of fuel to get more heat which expands the air more making it "bigger" and is then enough to drive the turbo, somewhat. I'll make a video for you today so you can compare and maybe tell me how your's is different and that will give us some clues possibly. You haven't really mentioned anything that would cause higher EGT's. Actually there is onee thing... If your timing is really retarded it will run great, but won't have the power and EGT's will soar. It would cause really good power down low but would fall on it's face up higher. I know you were seeing 1000F EGT down low but again thats just the nature of lugging it, I assume it felt like it had more power down low than the 24V and fell on its face over like 1500RPM?

• Like 1

First, I really appreciate all your help.The 24 valve I had had better power throughout the whole rpm range. I did have RV 275 injectors and a timing box though. That truck pulled the same road with ease, although I did not have an EGT gauge on that truck.This truck has O.K power in higher RPM range, so I doubt timing is the issue, if there is really an issue at all. I don't know. Could a waste gate stuck open cause the issue.

Well I just took mine out and although it's 2wd and a 5spd, it should be close enough. But I as only seeing 550F at 2psi up a 6% grade in 4th (same as your 3rd).

http://youtu.be/z60h_zGsOqU

The timing thing won't be obvious, but high EGTs and crappy power are all signs. But, this is starting to sound like something else. I have gone up some 15% grades at 1200RPM in 4th and was seeing maybe 800-900F. So either that hill you were on was a lot steeper than 6% or something is wrong. You say it runs perfect though. Does it smoke anytime?

Just looked at road grade and it was a 7 mile climb of 6-7 %.

- - - Updated - - -

It smokes if I get on it but clears quickly. It just seems as though it takes a bit to get the truck moving.

How hard is it to put a video on here? I might could do that to help, if it is not too complicated.

• Owner

How hard is it to put a video on here? I might could do that to help, if it is not too complicated.

Just upload the video to www.youtube.com and then come back here and smack the (Film Strip Icon) in the tool box and in will ask for the URL of the video. On Youtube you want the share button and copy that URL.

I do have another observation. See if this makes sense. If I really get on it, say near WOT, EGT don't really pass 1000 degrees, but boost comes up to around 30psi. It seems as if I am just taking it easy getting up to speed or climbing a hill EGT climbs much faster than if I am tearing around, which doesn't happen often. I think the EGT issue is more a, not building boost soon enough, issue. Does that make any sense? I noticed last night as I was driving home from work that doing about 55-60 EGT would go from 600-700 without hardly changing any boost pressure. Could a leak in the exhaust manifold do this? I will see what I can do about a video.

All of your boost number sound fine. If you can hit 30psi with the fuel plate fully back then that really says your turbo and plumbing is fine. You can only hit 1000 because of that fuel plate being where it is. Let me keep thinking about this.

Thinking about it more and more I think I have a wastegate issue. What is the best way of checking this? I think it may be opening at around 4 psi, or maybe it is staying cracked open partially. I can make 4 psi of pressure easily, after that egt get much hotter and harder to build boost. I am going to try plugging the wastegate line first.

Well if you want to check you can just take some air pressure and put it on the wastegate line that goes from the diaphragm all the way over the engine to the AFC. The diaphragm should go in and out. If you have a regulator you can set it at 20psi which is about where it should be opening. Yes that means if you aren't building 20psi, it should be shut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JXCO49H0Vk

• Like 1

Well you were right, checked wastegate and plugged it off. Gate was closed hard with no pressure, and plugging it off did little to no change.The truck was a Cali. truck with egr, but it does have a normal intake horn, the exhaust manifold has been capped off. Do you know if the Cali. exhaust manifold might have a restriction? Will be getting video this weekend.Thanks

Jesus! and thats unloaded? That actually looks completely normal....IFFFF it had a big trailer behind it! Your numbers at 70mph sound somewhat normal but down low that is just not right. It would be something if one gauge or the other was high but when the boost is way up and the EGT is way up just going up a little hill unloaded, it means it's dumping a ton of fuel into it for some reason. Something is dragging it down causing it to work a lot harder than it should. Just to be sure though, how does it start in the morning? How does it start when it's around 30F or below? What kinda MPG does it get?

Unloaded I am getting about 18-20 mpg. It starts O.K. in the morning with little to no haze. It idles a little low around 500rpm when first started, but I have the idle set at about 900 rpm due to the torque converter I have pulls it down alot. As far as starting when it is cold, it hasn't been cold here yet since the injector change. Before the injector change you helped me with a lack of low end power and haze problem, and it was hard to start when it was cold with the old injectors. Since the new injectors, the low end power is better, but not great, but I do have high EGTs. I don't remember what EGTs were with the old injectors, partly because I really didn't have a enough low end power to pull something like that. Also some of the old injector issues began after timing was changed. So I am kind of at a loss. I should have just left it alone.

This is how the truck is set up, except for a full replacement ranch hand bumper that weighs about 250 lbs or so.

Thanks

Posted Image

That all sounds pretty normal but it's normal for a loaded truck... I don't understand what is loading it though. A dragging brake or something would be a very viable issue. I just can't think of what the engine could be doing to simulate perfectly what a load does to it, without there actually being a load.

Truck rolls too easily to have a brake dragging, although I will check each wheel. I will suggest some hypothetical reasons for my problems and tell me if I am crazy. I will also try to load a cruising video, not on a hill.Exhaust turbine is damaged in turbo, causing it not to spool very well unless large amounts of heat/exhaust flow hit it. Intake turbine seems fine with little to no end play.New injector/s is bad, not creating an effective spray pattern/ dribbling fuel. ( in my 24 valve I had a bad injector/s that caused huge amounts of black smoke under load, no power, and no boost- changed injectors and vast improvement in power and milage) is my reasoning behind thisCould the fuel plate being all the way back be doing something causing load?Could exhaust manifold be plugged?Could timing being too high/low cause this? I seem to have had several issues after timing change, could too much timing cause high EGT. I may be paranoid, but I requested the timing change at the diesel shop to 15 degrees, when I got my ticket it said "incease timing 15 degrees per customer request", I questioned the shop manager about this and he said it was only taken to 15 degrees. I then had the timing checked at another shop who checked it with timing light attached to the #1 injector line, they never pulled the injection lines, they said it was at 15 degrees. The truck does have a lope when dropped into gear when cold, no lope once warmed up just a little.Could valve lash being out cause this?You were pushing like 2 psi at 500 degrees, I don't build practically any boost until 600 degrees. I can also be running along at 55 at 600 degrees with 4 PSI, hit a small hill, go up to 700 degrees and not have boost change at all. What do I need to take loose to see the exhaust turbine to inspect it?Sorry about dragging this on, but I really appreciate the insight.