• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Over head display out... fuse?

The overhead was working last time I used the truck. Today it's out. Totallty dark & dead. Does not respond to it's buttons. The interior lights on the overhead & flashing alarm light still works. I pulled the fuses in the driver's side of the dash/door & all 'appear' perfect. I've been reading on line, trying to figure out the wiring. What info I have (check me... you never can be sure) is #11 fuse (10A) is supposed to be the overhead console. I pulled the fuse & inspected it visually. Now that I (think I) know which fuse, I'll check the fuse with a meter & the socket for power... tomorrow in the daylight. Any other suggestions? Thanks,Russ

I'm sure there have been discussions here about working on the overhead trip computer / console. I'm doing something wrong when I try to search for them.I have power on #11 fuse socket & the fuse is good, in the driver's side dash end. I'm wondering if the clearance lights have leaked on me. Wife used the truck last... says the overhead WAS working.

Put your meter to the wires going into the card...(control center)

I'm not sure how many vdc you should have there, but you should read something...the trace back from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Or even use a test light...I'm pretty sure it won't be more than five volts in the card, and the bulb may be dim, but it will eliminate any questions on finding a ground. That thing is on the roof interior...not sure if it will be circuit voltage on input or not

Or it might even be a bad ground?

It's probably something stupid

I did pull the #11 fuse & checked with an ohm meter. 0 ohms. Lower pin in socket has 13.8 volts with engine running... I used the edge oth e dash frame for the voltage ground. I guess the next thing is to pull the overhead console. I'm not finding any screws. THere are a couple of snap in tabs in the Garage door comparement. I think squeezing them & unhooking the front will drop it enough to unplug the various harnesses.I checked on ebay... not seeing any such units for sale right now. I don't know if it's totally fried. No idea what I'll find. I know from my experience in the Marine Electronics company shop that circuit boards can be cleaned gently with rubbing alcohol & Q tips. I won't know until I get it out. The power to the dome lights (which often use a door switch to ground) is likely separate from the computer.

I've gotten the 2 catch tabs to release in the garage door compartment. There appears to be 2 hook tabs in the glasses compartment (rear) and appears it must slide to the rear... But danged if I can budge it. I tried pushing plastic wedges to 1/4" height under the front console sides but nothing is moving. Of course every time you tug on it the tabs lock in again. I was thinking of trying clothes pins on the tabs or maybe a thin blade or a narrow feeler guage or shim stock (to keep it from relatching) & maybe climb into the back seat to pull!! Or maybe a rubber mallot if I can find some place to bump it.

I've got wedges between the overhead & the headliner. I don't see how the overheadC can move back to unhood without dropping down more in front to clear the plastic latches. I guess I'm going to try to pry it down more... I don't know how much pressure the plastic can take.