• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got scanner today!

It's not the ScangaugeII.... Advance Auto was supposed to have one, so I got the Actron scanner. From what I can see, It doe basically the same as the ScangaugeII. After setup... (vehicle make model year engine) it will not only give a code, but what the code actually is. (I'll take codes and confirm either in here or elsewhere)So, here we go! 2000 Dodge 3500, cumminsP0336 crankshaft position sensor A circuitThat probably explains my bonker tachP1689 No communication with electric control and pump module.This probably explains the dying at idle, (sometimes) or an occasional buck..OR (possible light bulb just came on my tiny brain) If computer 'sees' that engine is not running (no signal from faulty crank sensor)... does it shut off lift pump??? Is it possible this is related to my first code?or would a dying lift pump cause this code...Any and all thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated!:thumb1:I got 4 codes recorded.... 2 'confirmed' and 2 'pending'. Both sets were the above mentioned codes.It will also record (but not erase) PERMANENT codes... only the vehicle itself can do that But that is for 2010 models

• Owner

You might want to look up the codes over here for correct definition and diagnostics. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes P1689 http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/228-p1689-no-communication-between-ecm-and-vp44 P0336 http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/175-p0336-crankshaft-position-sensor-signal As for the lift pump yes its very possible the lift pump is shut down when the RPM's die out because of a failed crank sensor. Also the alternator dies out too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to your diagnostic section! Whew.... when do you ever sleep man?I think I'll do all the steps in the crank sensor issue first... and get that resolved before attacking the failed comms issue.Since the tach only goes nuts on occasion, I am kinda thinking it's a connection issue.. but will follow the steps first before running to the parts store. sensors aren't too bad, around 35 bucks or so.

• Owner

Thanks for the link to your diagnostic section! Whew.... when do you ever sleep man?

I think I'll do all the steps in the crank sensor issue first... and get that resolved before attacking the failed comms issue.

Since the tach only goes nuts on occasion, I am kinda thinking it's a connection issue.. but will follow the steps first before running to the parts store. sensors aren't too bad, around 35 bucks or so.

Lately... I don't sleep very much being that I've got night duty on the fire.

As for the diagnostics yeah I would double check all wiring before buying parts and guessing.