• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Do you need to change a relay when you change a starter or N.S.S.

hd99fxr3

In talking to a guy that, seems to know the electrical system on these trucks inside and out. The topic of having to have 2 new starters in 4 months time. His opinion was that:#1 rebuilt starters from Bosch are junk and will fail in short order.#2 if you change a neutral safety switch or put in a new starter, there is a relay that must be changed as well.Anybody ever heard of this? Claims that without changing this relay, the problem will return.

The reason given was that. "when you turn the key voltage goes through the relay" If the current isn't burnt off via the starter, the points in the relay get burnt. I makes logical sense to me, and could explain the rapid failure of starters in my truck, one of which got the TIPM as well.I'm just throwing this out there to see what pops, but I think I will get one and change it out just for piece of mind. It takes a VIN# through dealer parts to get the right relay. He said not to use one from an auto parts store.

In a general scenario, the relay is a 12V "gate". It only takes 500mA, or 1A of DC current to flip the relay. It doesn't carry high current. If it did, then the wires and terminals would require much more "meat"... The starter's solenoid takes the brunt of the high-current job. The small amperage voltage (from the relay) runs down the wire to the solenoid, engaging the solenoid's "gate" or "contact", closing that circuit. That's where the heavy gauge wire from the battery is connected to the starter motor. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4523&d=1349364867

post-10339-138698192833_thumb.png