• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

crank (POS) sensor! grrrr

It's being a REAL bast*** !! got the starter off, the bolt holding the retaining clip out, and even popped the dipstick tube up.

I Can turn it freely.... but the dang o-ring has got a death grip! Does that have a groove it indexes in? or am I facing a dozen years of heat making that oring a permanent part of the block?

Last thing I want to do is break it off flush with the block! :banghead:

going to spray some penetrating blaster.... maybe that'll help break loose the oring

Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

worked like a champ! hosed it down with pb blaster, and wiggled it around, then it came right out!

was some rust/gunk on the outboard side of the o-ring.

not to hijack ya rancherman, but Im actually thinkin about changin my crank sensor out as well. I havent thrown any codes but as far as I know it has never been replaced making making it a 14 year old sensor which bothers me. I make a handful of long distance road trips evey year and my luck thats when it would decide to retire. Anybody else running their original sensors? Or am I WAY overdue? Im thinkin I already know the answer....

oh man, I'd leave it till the bitter end... the original electrical components are far superior than these made in "El Mexico".... Although:

The one I got from rock auto.. I got the airtex-wells, and the box said it was made in USA.. (the box? or the actual component?):shrug: Let's just assume its here!

It was about 42 bucks.

I googled 'what to do when crank sensor wont come out' LOL... funny you can google just about anything! Most guys who have snapped off the end, had success by screwing a deck screw down the center, then pulling on the head of the screw. One guy said he was going to push the dang thing into the oil pan and retreive it later

It's either a 15 minute job, or 4 hours! (have a really good 10 mm box end wrench for the starter bolts!) Joe gorilla musta assembled mine!

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear you got it out. I heard of thing like that happening. Most grab it with channel locks and lightly pull and twist.

yepper, I used vice grips to (lightly snag) onto 'what was left of the square part'..... and every time it slipped off.... the available 'square-to-snag-onto' was getting smaller and smaller.. and my sphinter got tighter and tighter..