• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Control Fuse and ASD relay

So, Ive gone through most of the threads I could find online, and I'm still a little unsure of how to do this...was hoping for some clarification.My engine control fuse keeps blowing, as long as the ASD relay is in. As soon as I pull the ASD relay, the engine control fuse doesn't blow...although I'm assuming that is because of the wiring. Without having looked at a diagram yet, I don't know which is in line first. However, the only symptom I seem to have so far is that my alternator won't charge. This is on a 96 12v, but the wiring harness is a frankenstein conglomeration of a 96, 98, and 2000 gas harness, so tracing it through is going to be nigh on impossible. I do plan on trying to buy a short detector, but I'm not too confident on how well that's going to work.I have the items to wire in an external ford voltage regulator, one of the 4 pin ones, from advanced. I'm still a little unclear of how its going to work, or how to wire it in. I get that two of the wires come off the alternator, the upper and lower field wires and go to the regulator, and then on the third pin on the regulator comes off of a keyed power source. The part I'm unclear on is do I unhook all the factory wiring from the alternator then? Also, if I don't have the ASD relay and fuse in, will the alternator still charge the batteries? Without those two, I don't see a path of current for the alternator to send a charge back to the battery-or is there a wire off the alternator that goes back to the batteries? Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated-I've got both of my vehicles down right now, and need to get one or the other up as soon as possible.

Well, I wired up the external voltage regulator, and it seems to work fine. I wasn't able to download the files, due to not having enough posts on the forum yet, and I don't want to just spam posts to get permissions....seems kind of cheap to me, despite the fact that I still need to track down that short. I was a little leary of doing it, but it seems to have worked out ok. I didn't want to break up my block on the back of the alternator, but after trying to just bend the tabs back and tape them up, I didn't see any other way to do it. I used the ford voltage regulator, the 4 pin one, but it still worked out ok, and tapped the ignition wire into the airdog wire, since I already know that one is tapped into a hot when on fuse. Voltage is back to charging, and everything still seems to function correctly. Because the engine control fuse only seemed to blow when the ASD relay was in, I went ahead and left the ASD relay out-I don't think I needed it anyway, since I already have a manual fuel solenoid cutoff cable installed-not sure if that actually has anything to do with that or not, but in case it does, I'm good on it.