• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rusted off manifold bolts

Rusted off manifold bolts.I've been wrestling with some badly rusted studs.2 out of 6 came right out2 were rusted off right at the head.I welded a nut to what was left of the stud and worked 2 more out this way.I drilled one out, that went ok but on the last one I rushed it and snapped off the bit in the hole. Have any of you used a torched to blow out the hole?It's getting close to snowplowing season, so I I'm looking for a quick fix or I'm going to bolt it back on with a gasket and fix it the right way in the spring?

• Owner

Rusted off manifold bolts.

I've been wrestling with some badly rusted studs.

2 out of 6 came right out

2 were rusted off right at the head.

I welded a nut to what was left of the stud and worked 2 more out this way.

Nice way of getting it out..

I drilled one out, that went ok but on the last one I rushed it and snapped off the bit in the hole.

Uh Oh! :eek:

Have any of you used a torched to blow out the hole?

No... I haven't. But I don't suugest trying to burn it out.

It's getting close to snowplowing season, so I I'm looking for a quick fix or

I'm going to bolt it back on with a gasket and fix it the right way in the spring?

Well the problem is cast iron doesn't take much for abuse like using a torch or such because its so brittle. But you mighyt be able to heat it up good enough to maybe soak WD-40 or similar in there and might break it loose using a small punch or chisel... Might even get the EZ out - out of the broken bolt... :confused:

Well It's snapped off about 1/4 in the hole. I cleaned up the threads(what I could get to) and put a bolt in it and snugged it up.I haven't had good night's sleep scene. This is my front line plow rig so I can't be messing around with her to much until spring. Then I'll get back in there and see if I can fix it right.

• 1 month later...

Lefthand drill bit and a close drill or adapter?Slip a bit off copper tube in to protect the threads that are there and build up weld to weld a nut onmake a guide to center the drill and drill through the broken piece, add penetrating oil at both ends and try the ezout aginWith a guide the bolt can sometimes be drilled and tapped, hard to hit that close freehandWhen all else fails a helicoil or a larger boltA carbide masonary bit can be sharpened to cut a drill or elrctro discharge machine will eat it out

Stick has a good chance of pulling the drill end, shield the threads with copper to keep the threads clear so the stub will thread out, some No-sieze on the end of the tube helps also.High temp RTV will glue it on, takes a day or 2 to cure above freezing as glue, the cure is water vapor asorbtion.

Edited by keydl