• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve wiring and first post

Hello all, I'm new to the site/forum and thought I would introduce myself and get right in to the mix.My name is Ron, I'm from CA, and I love to put cummins motors in trucks they didn't belong in.I have a complete donor 2001 cummins 24 valve. I actually have the whole truck. I put the engine,trans, and transfer case in a 2001 Chevy 3500HD. My question is, im doing the wiring right now and I have the truck runningbut i have absolutely no throttle at all. idle only. im wiring from the c130 connector and im using the factory ecm and pcm for the 24v. i have a light green/black wire that in my schematic needs 12v in start run position. But when I hook it up to switched power the truck turns over but doesnt run. if i leave the wire disconnected it fires right up runs. as soon as i touch the wire to the switched source while its running it will die like someone shut the key off. Does anyone have a list of what wires need to be hooked up? I had to have missed something and i think it is a 12v switched wire or 2.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,Ron

Ron, I am looking at my 01 schematic. Right now the only LG/BK wire I see moves through fuse 9 and (page 8w-30-36) feeds both the PCM and the ECM with switched power (run and start). One of the guys really needs to chime in here, but I believe the 24v will start and run (at idle only) with neither the ECM nor the PCM connected. (look here http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html) I am thinking that when you apply the power to bring the PCM/ECM online the system becomes aware, and stops running due to other wiring issues or bad PCM or ECM. HTH Hag

I see what you are saying. i wonder what im missing? ihave two red/white wires connected to 12v and a red/green wire to positive. all black/tan wires are grounded along with the rest of the engine grounds. the light green/black is switched. ill go back over the schematic now and see if im missing something.

You might want to go ahead and complete the wiring for the DLC (data link connector) and use a scan tool to make sure the CCD bus is communicating. I can envision some crazy stuff going on. (a friend and I have contemplated a Cumminsaurus. Would be a neat project.)8w-80-11 and 8w-80-12 are the C130 pinouts (daimler could have gone ahead and given the names for each wire too on that list...) but anyway, you may have to go through one by one and figure it out. (I guess you have found that page already though...)You don't have your shields grounded at both ends on the injector pump data link do you? (this can create a weird magnetic field and cause incorrect voltages in the wires from the surrounding field.)what does the ECM do with the oil pressure sensor information? (what state is the fuel shut off signal during normal operation? do other ECM inputs effect the shut off?) Sorry I am asking more questions than answering.Hag

I got the truck running and throttle working. Drove the truck today and have some interesting things happening.

accelerates good through first and second gear, third gear shifts smooth but if I start to roll on the throttle slightly the transmission acts like it wants to downshift the engine seems like it hits a dead spot and transmission

acts crazy. I have to wire in a service engine light and aldl to pull the codes but i thought I would post what is going on. if it was a manual trans i would be done I think. LOL! Once I get everything running properly I will

post a detailed wiring diagram on how to do a stand alone harness.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Hag! Im looking into your questions. Thanks everyone for your help and insight.more questions to come Im sure. LOL

Glad you got it!!! You have to share what was missing, or was it just a loose connection.I don't have an auto, but my brother does. Early in its life, the trans went schizo and it apparently was the shift solenoids. (was it a wiring problem???? apparently the auto wants to be grounded well...) Could be your issue also!Good luckHag