• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ISSPRO EV2 electronic FP gauge

Just a quick question on these, as this will be the first time I've ever had an electronic FP gauge as opposed to mechanical. The setup on the truck was originally designed with an autometer electronic FP gauge, with the sending unit tapped into the 90 elbow feeding into the P7100 Pump. With this being an electronic FP gauge, how critical is running either a snubber/needle valve/isolator inline with this system? I know in the past, they still recommended it, as the pulses would still beat the sending unit and cause it to either fail rapidly, or at least create a pulsating reading, so I was wondering if the newer electronic gauges were the same? I'm not a huge fan of electronic gauges in general, as there's just one more thing to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, but it is what it is, and I have them now-it's my fault for not specifying mechanical, as I wasn't really thinking about that when I ordered them.

• Owner

It's a requirement for a snubber or needle valve. But I'm finding more and more snubbers fail to portect the senders. If your needle valve is setup properly it should take 2-3 seconds to rise from 0 to what ever pressure you got. Gauge should never jst snap to position this is a bad thing. As for sender location you want to be as far back away from the injection pump as possible but still forward of the last filter.

If I understand it correctly, the only time you need the snubber is when you have a mechanical transfer pump. From your sig I see you have an electric pump. There may be a take off on your pump housing to screw in a gauge right there. The mechanical transfer pump fluctuates abruptly and the electric is smooth. I myself have an air dog with adjustable pressure screw. Theres a plug on my pump housing where the gauge fitting goes. I don't run a snubber and have no fluctuation at the gauge. Good luck.

I have seen some fluctuation still in the electric-pumped P-pump trucks, but the farther away from the P-pump that you tap into the line for the sensor, the less fluctuation you will see. As mentioned above, if you use the port on the Air Dog you should be fine.Regards,Michael Pliska

• Like 1

• Owner

Then if I was to guess why, I'd say the electric fuel pump in all series trucks use the same principal style. The gerotor style pump in the air dog may just avoid those spikes. Just curious though. Thanks for reply.

Actually no its not so much the AirDog or lift pump. Its the opening and closing of the injection pump valving. As the injection pump opens up to draw fuel in the slams shut the valving to pressurize the load of fuel. This is what creates the water hammer pulses. Like this little video I created.

http-~~-//youtu.be/Kl2pa7pmES4

Outstanding. I was looking at the wrong end. at this time my fuel gauge doesn't fluctuate. Around the time I upgraded the fuel system I read somewhere about the electric fuel pump not needing a snubber. Maybe the hammering on both ends makes it worse. It's nice to see others so dedicated and responsive talking about our machines. I spent the better part of today working on my truck. I have a 600+ mile round trip ahead of me. I did a shake down and now finishing up on getting everything together. I have my slide on camper on it and I'll be pulling a 14ft enclosed trailer. I'm always hauling things. I took the wife and kids to a family Thanksgiving get together in PA. I'm inclined to keep the camper on for a while because it's so comfortable with this setup. I love my Dodge. I spent so many man hours on this truck. I bought it new in 97. It never let me down. I know I need to rebuild the tranny at some point w/130,000 towing miles it's starting to get soft. I let it lock up before I give it a workout. I'm always thinking of a better mouse trap with my truck and machines. I like every aspect of what makes what tick. I'm impressed that you even have a video concerning water hammer. That's cool. Thanks.

I got a needle valve at the local hardware store here and got it in. I still need to redo the setup and push the valve further back off the IP, but the pulsation is definitely much less! For the day or two I had them, I like the ev2's except for one thing...the boost gauge seems to have a delayed response....is that normal for an electric boost gauge, or should I be looking for a leak?