• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 stroke test results I have not seen yet ?

anoldbiker

Ok, I hate it when a question pops in my mind and I just can't find the answer. And, I'm crossed eyed looking the site over to satisfy this question.I know it as the 'gel point' where diesel 'starts' a gel effect when temps drop due to the winter climate ?When 2 stroke oil has been added to standard #2 diesel, does this gel point temp drop ... or not ?Any lab test on this ?

I dont have any threads to point you towards to answer your question, but I would have to say it is probably diluted enough that its not going to change the temp at which fuel gels. Ive ran it mixed with gas in chainsaws ( much more concentrated than what we use in our trucks) in really cold weather, even had the gas can sitting in the bed of my truck for a few days at at time during a cold snap and seen no ill effects of it. Then if you look at its uses in sleds, where there is a separate reservoir and its injected into the fuel system, it has to be able to sit in whatever weather a snowmobile is subjected to without gelling or freezing. :shrug:Just my thoughts?

• Owner

Typical Diesel for Idaho has a pour point of -20*F or the fuel is completely solid. Typical 2 cycle oil has pour point of -40*F and many snowmobile oils go as low as -50*F. So my theory is if you have water and you know water freezes at 32*F and then take salt water unknown mixture of and add it to the water the freeze point will fall how far? So if the water is diesel fuel and saltwater is the 2 cycle oil so the pour point should fall how much I don't know.

If memory serves me right, the gel point for #1 and #2 diesel is different. But it's been many years since I read it and don't remember. Is the -20 degrees for 2 or 1 ?I agree with the theory of the water and the added salt water. But when having a discussion with a friend, the gel point entered my mind, and found quiet a bit of test and info on adding the oil, but nothing containing if this benefits the temp range diesel can be used in, and how much it will drop the gel point say for 1 oz/gal or 1/2oz/gal..Now my friend goes near the US / Canadian border to visit family during the holidays. He used the 2 stroke since he has an older engine. But he uses other additives so it doesn't gel when the weather gets as cold as it can there. And the stories he's told me of when he was a kid on that farm, it can get cold.I don't worry about it where I live at, the temps are not that bad. Just wanted to see if there was actual studies or documentation on it.

• Owner

Sorry but I don't know of any testing done yet. I know my freezers here don't get cold enough to do the testing. Chevron fuel here in Idaho has a pour point of -20*F. So I would need a good chunk of dry ice and and small cooler to do the testing with. My little digital thermometer is good for -45*F. Just never got around to watching diesel fuel freeze. :rolleyes:

From what I read so far on the net was you can obtain full gel point @ -17.5*F. And they said it was normally 9.5*F below cloud point for #2. They ddn't say if #1 was the same or not.Outside of testing for lubcity, it appears no other testing has been done. Would be nice if 2 stroke removed the need for gel additive in extremely cold weather and was documented.Maybe some lab will one day.