• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How Many Miles Without Alternator?

Evening, all.My batteries aren't getting charged up. I had a local garage (the only garage in town) change the alternator, as they'd indicated it was bad. No, the batteries are still not getting charged. They replaced a wire from the alternator, as they said the connector was fried and corroded. When I started the Dodge up, I noted that the ammeter was just barely above the 12 amp mark (left white hash mark). I pointed that out and they said it would rise, that 12 amps was within spec. I drove around town a bit (small town) and saw that the ammeter wasn't rising at all. I took it back to the garage and they said it might be the batteries. They're fairly new (1 year old) Les Schwab batteries, their X-treme top of the line.Well, I'm willing to admit they might be fried due to having to be charged up 5-6 times. I'm taking it back to the garage Monday for one more shot at getting it fixed. I'm having suspicions about the overall competence of the folks at the garage. My main question, however, is this..How far can one drive on fully charged batteries and essentially no functioning alternator? There's a highly recommended repair facility 25 miles away.

in my opinion, i think the outdoor temp is going to be the decider. it takes more power to crank and if the heater grids start cycling it will go quick. again INMO you could make it if the batteries are full and you have used the block heater for a couple hours. do you have a volt-o-meter? good luck

Edited by guesswho512
it's not IT without T

When I was having trouble with my alternator, I was keeping my charge on my battries by using a Battery Tender brand charger. That way I wasn't frying my batteries. Make sure when you charge the them to disconnect them from each other.I ordered a rebuild kit for my alternator from Geno's Garage. Comes with a new brush & bearings. It did the trick. I never took one apart before, it was not a difficult job at all. As long as the diodes are good in the alternater you'll be good to go. I was driving my truck until the parts came. Just around town.My gauge is low too until the grid stops recycling. If it's cold out, it can take a little while, esp if we are constantly staring it the gauge. Like waiting for water to boil!I think you can make the 25 mile trip if the batteries are up. Hopefully Michael diagnosed your problem!

Evening, all. My batteries aren't getting charged up. I had a local garage (the only garage in town) change the alternator, as they'd indicated it was bad. No, the batteries are still not getting charged. They replaced a wire from the alternator, as they said the connector was fried and corroded. When I started the Dodge up, I noted that the ammeter was just barely above the 12 amp mark (left white hash mark). I pointed that out and they said it would rise, that 12 amps was within spec. I drove around town a bit (small town) and saw that the ammeter wasn't rising at all. I took it back to the garage and they said it might be the batteries. They're fairly new (1 year old) Les Schwab batteries, their X-treme top of the line. Well, I'm willing to admit they might be fried due to having to be charged up 5-6 times. I'm taking it back to the garage Monday for one more shot at getting it fixed. I'm having suspicions about the overall competence of the folks at the garage. My main question, however, is this.. How far can one drive on fully charged batteries and essentially no functioning alternator? There's a highly recommended repair facility 25 miles away.

What did you end up doing?

Alas, I wimped out and had the truck towed 25 miles to the nearest reliable repair facility. $150 for the tow, $40 for the diagnosis and fuse. Yep, it was the 140-amp alternator fuse, just as Mopar1973Man had suggested. I checked all around the alternator and in the cab for the alternator fuse, not knowing that it was hidden behind an unmarked plastic top in the engine compartment. Yes, I know my way around computers and networks. Yes, my knowledge of repairing vehicles is extremely limited. I might learn slowly, but I do learn. Thanks to all who replied.

Edited by silverjim
missing word

The mechanic blinked at me, said "Oh", and went back to working on a small car. Folks in the little RV park that I'm staying in have all said they take their vehicles to someone else. Well, I was worried about not being able to make it 25 miles just powering all the pickup stuff from batteries. Sometimes it's better to spend a bit more money and get the problem fixed right the first time.

Thanks, M20M. I spent a bit of time studying the lid of my PDC, which has that legend (or one real close to it) on it, and now have a much better idea of just what all is there. I did notice that every place that is marked "Spare" is empty. Oh, those sly dogs at Dodge.

• 2 weeks later...

The mechanic blinked at me, said "Oh", and went back to working on a small car. Folks in the little RV park that I'm staying in have all said they take their vehicles to someone else. Well, I was worried about not being able to make it 25 miles just powering all the pickup stuff from batteries. Sometimes it's better to spend a bit more money and get the problem fixed right the first time.

Well now you know where to go first next time if need be!