• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

30w Non Detergent vs. 2 cycle oil

New here, but not new to Cummins engines. I have searched so if I missed something my apologies. Does anyone have data concerning adding 30wt Non-detergent oil vs. 2 cycle oil to diesel fuel? I have read & read about 2 cycle oil in diesel fuel, but not much info on 30wt. I am wondering if 30wt has similiar benifits other than pump lubrication etc... I have always run a quart of 30wt non-detergent at every fill up. Injectors are clean, truck runs great & quiet (223,500 miles...12V NOT stock since 15K :biggrin:). Anyway... I know back in the day 30wt was used as premix, but things have improved... I like the 30wt b/c it's cheap per qt ($1.27) & easy to buy & fits great in my door pannel.Thanks in advance for the info!

i'm somewhat new to diesels myself. i had never heard about adding anything to fuel until i stumbled across mopar1973man's info about 2stroke oil. what did you have in mind. i have been using the wallyworld special. its like $11 a gallon so if 30w does the same for cheaper, i'm interested. maybe in another tank or so i will test it

Truely the only difference between DN 30W engine oil and and 2 cycle oil is ASH content. Ash is the naturally occuring metal that are in the oil. When burnt the deposits can collect on injectors and pistons. But since you running like Centinel you well below Cummins limit of 5% volume of oil.

I had forgot about Centinel, thanks for the remider & the 5%.... curious though now that you mention less than 5% I like the idea of running 30w HD better, but I know the detergents can cause hot spots on the piston faces (thus I have always used ND....However Centinel would inject a multigrade HD oil into the fuel, so in theory I should be good yes? I may be over thinking this one as I dont think 1qt of ND to every fill up will cause sludge / geling issues.. but I still like the idea of 30wt HD vs. ND. My fuel filters always come out clean (change every 10K).... Thanks.. Josh

• Owner

Most all 2 cycle oil today is ashless... TCW3... Hmmm... The only thing to consider is looking at the pour point of snowmobile 2 cycle oil over pour point of engine oil. I think ther pour point of snow mobile oil is much lower and help protect against gelling. Fuel filters for 2nd Gen 24V are rated for 12K to 15K miles (every other oil change). As for my AirDog 150 I'm going 30K miles between filters and there not stock 10 micron filters they are 2 micron fleetguards... Now I do have the stock filter housing and element and so far the stock filter is still clean!

Edited by Mopar1973Man