• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pilot bearing M.I.A

Hey im doing a clutch install in my 02 six speed. Got the trans down and out and im looking for my pilot bearing but there is none. Nothing. Stock original clutch. Did it bust apart and fall out? Also, there is alot of what looks like grease and oil in the bell housing, im guessing from the throw out bearing, but there seems to be alot of it. The bearing spins very free and has hardly any play in it. Dd the grease come from there? The input shaft has very little play as well. Where else could the **** come from?

If the pilot bearing is totally gone I would be replacing the input seal under the front bearing retainer. Even though it feels tight check the bearing carefully too. With no pilot to help support the input shaft the heavy clutch disk would have been putting stress on the bearing. I would think you should be able to at least find a piece of the pilot bearing??? Or do they run a bushing?

Got it all in. Big difference with a stout valair in there. The pilot bearing was in pieces behind the flywheel as expected. When i pulled the flywheel, behind it was spankin clean. I already had a rear main seal so just changed it anyway. No big deal. Also changed the input shaft bearing. The clutch seems a little grabby at the start. But gets better after a test run.