• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Problems with 2001 24V

I was having problems about a month ago. Truck cranked but wouldn't start. Check engine light on, codes present were 1688, 1689, 252, 254. Injection pump was replaced. Same problem, same codes. Took to local Chrysler dealer they cleared codes and said nothing was wrong. Drove to get fuel, truck was idling and just died and cranked but wouldn't start. When it finally started it wouldn't go above 1500 rpm's drove home on shoulder 8 mph. Sometimes when key is in the on position waiting for start light speedo needle with jump up and down and CEL will flash on and off. Help please!

• Owner

Sound like a ECM issue coming on. I would check the alternator first of for AC noise output from bad diodes.

Then once you know you got clean power and no AC noise issues then I would try swapping ECM's with someone and see if the problem goes away. If so then you know the ECM is failing and requires replacement.
  • Like 1

Alternator was recently replaced. I can get a rebuilt ecm for about $300.00 but it will need to be flashed and I don't know where to get that done, cost? I cannot read the part # on ecm. Will my VIN tell what the original part # was?

• Owner

Alternator was recently replaced. I can get a rebuilt ecm for about $300.00 but it will need to be flashed and I don't know where to get that done, cost? I cannot read the part # on ecm. Will my VIN tell what the original part # was?

Just because the alternator was replace doesn't mean it clean power. Read more here... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/5937-Torque-Converter-Lock-Unlock-Issues?p=63884#post63884 Any ECM will work basically its just the software that is different and yes the VIN and a few other tags will tell all about the vehicle and what it requires for software. As for the reman'ed ECM's most end up with expensive paper weights. Some have been lucky...

• Owner

f I Pm you my VIN can you tell me the part# of my original ECM?

I won't be able to tell you but maybe a dodge Dealer could. As for electronic failures I'm finding that 90% of then stem from grounds, battery issues, alternator noise, etc. Being that electronics typically will last a very long time on just battery power but introduce noise to the power it will cause damage for sure. The other 10% is environment. Maybe the ECM is seeing serious high temps from a overheating truck.

• Owner

How do I hook up to test alternator? I found the part #'s for ECM, Cummins part # 3947412, Mopar part # 38331300J. Can anyone reccomend where to get an ECM?

I typically use a high quality DVM like a Fluke or similar. check you DC volts then flip to AC and see if its over 0.1 Volts AC if its higher its a fail.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveGtGuswBw