• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Should I 6.7????

HiI own a 03 5.9 HO 4x4 and LOVE IT. I have an opportunity to possible get a new truck this summer or fall. Wont go into how and why but will be able to get a new truck.Question:Should I go with the 6.7, or should I just go gas. I know this is diesel place..haha I love my 5.9L (this is my second one). Just without having any peddle time on the 6.7 I thought I would throw it out there.Here we gooooo..haha

You clearly want the 6.7. So, go for it. Though, I would get a Tundra well before I bought a 6.7 or gasser Dodge. However, I would say you had better steel yourself for the poor mileage and lack of any ability to hot rod it ever, thanks to our government.

You clearly want the 6.7. So, go for it. Though, I would get a Tundra well before I bought a 6.7 or gasser Dodge.

However, I would say you had better steel yourself for the poor mileage and lack of any ability to hot rod it ever, thanks to our government.

I took that line of thought before I bought my 2010 Hemi last year until I talked to many owners and used car dealers and my cousin who has a tundra. In my head I was going into it thinking I was 80% sure I was going to find a nice used Tundra, the Hemi was the backup plan. Well after talking and talking and talking I couldn't find a single person who would recommend a Tundra over the Hemi based on one single thing............The mileage sucks big time on them just using them as a DDer was not good but everyone I talked to said don't expect anything over 10 mpg with even the smallest of trailers on back. Secondly I couldn't find any in the price range I was looking to stay within. I found my used Hemi and have been more than impressed and extremely happy I went this route versus a Tundra.:2cents:

On the other hand once you jump into a Ram 2500 Chassis with a Hemi then the milage is comparable to the 1/2 ton Tundras.

You clearly want the 6.7. So, go for it. Though, I would get a Tundra well before I bought a 6.7 or gasser Dodge. However, I would say you had better steel yourself for the poor mileage and lack of any ability to hot rod it ever, thanks to our government.

I deleted the egr and dpf on mine and it gets better mileage than my 05 does. They both of smrty jr's but the 6.7 is faster and the exhaust brake is AWESOME! Get it. BTW, the wife's truck is a gasser. You're better than that.

Better then that!! I LOVE IT..haha Well what is the mileage on a 6.7? Compared to my 03 HO 5.9? Worse?

From everyone I have talked to a stock 6.7 with all the Government required jewelery only get around 15 mpg dd. Emmissions stripped off they are running over 18+.

• 3 weeks later...
Hidden

I'm not sure how good the newest one's are but over the weekend i got the chance to drive a 2007.5 dodge 3500 2wd with 99k mile's with the 6.7. I was surprised at how quite the the motor was compared the the 06 comman rail i did own and the 01 Cummins i now own. Power wise it was a beast lot's of low end torque. What surprised me was it was a ky Road dept. truck owned by a DOT officer and it had the muffler, cat and DPF, EGR delete and a H&S programmer....:think: also it blew alot of smoke at WOT blacked out a 4 lane highway :cool:But the only issue I had was the trans which had no idea what gear it wanted to be in until i used Tow/Haul then it really firmed up and knew it's role. If it weren't for the new rule the bank are forceing around here only giving out 1 auto loan at a time. had the down payment, trade in, and a great credit score/history but they wouldn't give me the loan gotta wait 380 day's till i pay off my 01 Cummins to buy my 3rd Cummin's(Still keeping the 2nd.

• 3 weeks later...

i traded my 07 5.9 for a 12 6.7. Yep, the mileage does suck. if you get 15 stock you are doing the grandpa and lucky at that. However, the truck (DRW 4WD) is a towing beast and the Engine Brake is actually a good functioning addition. I am considering deletes and a tuner before they are all gone to improve the mileage. If I could get 18 I would be VERY happy. I would not, however, trade back.

I hear the newer cummins will have the dpf "cleaning" fluid. Is this a good or bad thing?

Wait until you do the deletes. You'll get 3 or 4 more mpgs.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear the newer cummins will have the dpf "cleaning" fluid. Is this a good or bad thing?

Wait until you do the deletes. You'll get 3 or 4 more mpgs.

Oh in Canada I was told they have the DF fluid now and read that on the cummins site, hmm weird.

Got me? Mine doesn't have that.

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking of getting the new 2013. It has the upped Hp and Torque along with the new tranny.

385 hp @ 2,800 rpm 850 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm (Aisin AS69RC trans)

[h=2]High Output 6.7L Cummins[/h]

Early in 2011, Cummins announced an upgraded version of the 6.7L Cummins would be released for the spring. The updated engine saw torque increase to 800 lb-ft (from 650 lb-ft). Horsepower ratings did not change, nor did output for the derated, manual transmission version of the engine.

For 2013, the 6.7L Cummins underwent further changes and was scheduled to be offered in 3 version:

• 350 hp, 660 lb-ft version coupled to the G56 manual trans.

• 370 hp, 800 lb-ft version coupled to the 68RFE automatic trans.

• H.O. 385 hp, 850 lb-ft version coupled to the Aisin AS69RC trans (High Output).

In addition to the new offerings, SCR (selective catalytic reduction) w/ DEF injection became standard on the new high output version. Ram Trucks reported an approximate 10% increase in fuel economy with the new engine lineup. To reach and safely maintain these power levels, Ram trucks received dual transmission coolers, dual radiators, a higher efficiency intercooler (charge-air-cooler), larger capacity EGR system, and a higher efficiency mechanical fan.

Additional 6.7L Cummins Info

• Manual transmission equipped 6.7L Rams have significantly less torque output than the automatic equipped 6.7L Rams.

• The 07-10 6.7L maintains peak torque between 1,500 & 2,800 RPM.

• Approximately 40% of the 5.9L Cummins' engine parts were carried over to the 6.7L Cummins.

• The 6.7 features an integrated exhaust brake direct from the factory, which improves safety and vehicle control while towing.

• Fuel injection system designed to lowers noise, vibration, and emissions while maximizing output.

• Met strict NOx emission requirements for 2010 3 years in advance.

• Standard emission equipment includes a diesel particulate filter & exhaust gas recirculation system. For 2013, DEF became standard on the H.O. version.

• Initially designed to safely run on B5 biodiesel. Later revised to run on B20 for 2011+ model years.

• 2 weeks later...