• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant flush

angus

Planning on flushing, and changing antifreeze this weekend.. I`ve got three gallons of Zerex G05 (HOAT) Oreilly`s had to special order, and four gallons of distilled water left after doing all the tractors last weekend.I`m wondering what the capacity is? Is 6 gallons 50/50 mixture enough?

Planning on flushing, and changing antifreeze this weekend.. I`ve got three gallons of Zerex G05 (HOAT) Oreilly`s had to special order, and four gallons of distilled water left after doing all the tractors last weekend. I`m wondering what the capacity is? Is 6 gallons 50/50 mixture enough?

You have got plenty, I think when I have done mine a couple times 4ish gallons was about what it took.
  • Like 1

I noticed a couple weeks ago while doing an oil change there is what appears to be the temp sender on the right lower portion of the block, around the motor mount.. it has a slow drip coming from the pipe threads. I`m gonna try to reseal this while I`m there. It looks like a good place to flush from, or is there another plug somewhere else?

Not that I am aware of, I usually just park mine so the front end is down hill filler up with distilled water run it for a minute and drain it through the radiator petcock, On the CR I find it best to pop off the rear heater hose at the block while filling to purge the air from the block otherwise it takes forever to refill and trying to burp it never seems to work on the Cr for some reason. Never had this issue on my 02 24v.

• Like 1

• Staff

Here is a write-up I did on it. Total capacity is 7.4 gallons, so if your flushing you need 3.7 gallons of G05. If your just draining and filling you only need about 2-2.5 gallons of G05. I can't think of any sender that would be by the motor mount. By right side I am assuming passenger side? http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1301-Coolant-Flush-on-a-3rd-Gen?highlight=

• Like 1

Here is a write-up I did on it. Total capacity is 7.4 gallons, so if your flushing you need 3.7 gallons of G05. If your just draining and filling you only need about 2-2.5 gallons of G05. I can't think of any sender that would be by the motor mount. By right side I am assuming passenger side? http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1301-Coolant-Flush-on-a-3rd-Gen?highlight=

Yes, pass side.. It looked like a fitting pipe threaded into the block, and then there is an odd looking electrical connector with a treaded ring that connects to it??? Am I looking at the block heater LOL!

It is the block heater:whistle:I just went out and looked again. its right behind the oil filter..

This is a little scary now. I had a bad experience last week with one of the heaters on my Ford tractor.

If this thing does`nt come out clean, or snaps off its going to turn into a major cluster #%&!.

- - - Updated - - -

All is well.. The block heater came right out, In fact it was actually a little bit loose.

Got everything flushed, and changed with a new 190 degree thermo.

I don`t know if its the HOAT antifreeze or just the Cummins engine, but the inside of the head under the thermostate looks like brand new??? not a speck of corrosion, and shes got 151K on the clock. :thumbup2: