• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Unexpected results from new VP44

Thanks for the info Ed. These walbros sound like a great alternative. I used to use similar pumps in my days of off roading Suzuki 4x4s - we would get them off of full size ford vans and trucks, mounted on the frame rail. I suspect these walbros are very similar.

As for the relay - I recall reading about a check engine light being displayed if a relay is used to run your fuel pump. Apparently the ECM detects low current draw and it is displayed as lift pump failure. Have you had this problem? If so how did you fix it?

The bypass valve you're using looks like a perfect unit for these setups. Have you ever tried plumbing the bypass back to the low pressure (inlet) side of the pump(s)? While I agree it's better to have it returning to tank, I may try plumbing it directly back to the inlet side of the pumps so it's contained in one compact unit. This will be essentially the same as the internal bypass found in the Holley's. Plus, this will eliminate an additional line to the tank(s) making it easier to have an auxiliary tank.

I'm currently planning out my auxiliary tank setup. Tank will be a toolbox/tank combo in the box of truck. Stock tank or aux will be selected via a 12v solenoid valve such as this one: http://www.princessauto.com/hydraulics/valves/accessoriesy/8051799-12-vdc-selector-valve. This will actually allow a single pump setup, however I like the added peace of mind of your redundant pump setup and would probably do the same. Water separator/pump/filter/bypass will be contained on a mounting plate, removable as a module to facilitate service.

This is what I'm planning for my next fuel pump setup. The holley HP150 is disappointing me already. Holley used an o-ring seal on one side of the pump's port plate, and a cheap gasket on the other. The gasket, combined with the uneven 3 bolts that clamp it together, is already resulting in leaks!

I'm really disappointed to here about the HP150. When I saw your writeup on CF it looked like a good alternative and your workmanship was impressive. I even PM'd you about posting it here. I was told to replace my stock pump with a Walbro 4 years ago by several RV delivery drivers who came into my RV dealership. I knew nothing about Walbro but for under $200.00 I bought two of them keeping one in the truck as a backup. Several of the delivery drivers had over 100,000 miles on theirs and one of mine is approaching 90,000. I think a prefilter is a huge help for longevity along with using the correct type of regulator so the pump isn't fighting against it's own pressure. 392's will exceed 100 psi without a regulator.

As far as the relay causing a code, I haven't had a problem. The Fass and AirDog systems also use the original pump wire to trigger the relay and they don't throw a code either. It is a little confusing because some trucks will throw a P0230 when their pump is failing because the circuit is out of range. You wouldn't think a 160 mA draw would be enough to prevent the code but I have never got one. It would be interesting to find out what the parameters are for the ECM to throw a P0230. Maybe Mopar1973Man has some information about this.

When I first installed a Walbro, I installed a return manifold into the fuel fill because that's what everyone told me to do. When I redid my fuel system I did give some thought to re-plumbing the return to a tee before the suction side of the pump. Opie's mechanical pump is plumbed that way;

Posted Image

But I decided just to use the return manifold because it was already in place.

I like your idea of a solenoid. That will make things easy to operate. I get quite a few questions asking why not run both pumps at once. A single 392 will pump 80 gph at 14.0 volts and 15 psi of pressure. That's way more fuel than my VP44 requires and my pressure never drops more than 2 psi. I use my truck to pick up wholesale campers all over the Northeast so having a second pump in place offers a lot of peace of mind and could potentially save a lot of money due to tow bills or lost time. A lifetime warranty pump is nice to have but having to wait to have one sent (even overnight) could cost hundreds of dollars. Buying a new $100.00 Walbro pump to replace a failed one is actually cheaper for me than waiting for a free replacement.

I also like your idea of mounting everything on one plate to make service easy. I've read that emulsified water is harder to remove so the water separator should be on the suction side of the pump like on Fass and AirDog systems. The nice thing with your setup is you'll be able to run better filters than both of those systems.

post-10025-138698163563_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Ed you say your vp44 went out due to electrical, did it throw a code, did it die a lot during the day, surging, slight miss. My fuel mileage went from 14mpg to 18 mpg in a 10k welding truck, now the pump is going out I am back to 14mpg.

Hey Ed you say your vp44 went out due to electrical, did it throw a code, did it die a lot during the day, surging, slight miss. My fuel mileage went from 14mpg to 18 mpg in a 10k welding truck, now the pump is going out I am back to 14mpg.

I had absolutely no warning. It started perfectly, drove great, didn't throw a code and the mileage was the same as it had been for the last four year. I had just finished climbing a very steep hill with about 3000 pounds in the bed. It pulled the hill like it normally would with no indication of a problem. Than it just suddenly died and wouldn't restart. I've been reading about the problems you have been having and I wish I could give you some help but it has me stumped.

• Owner

This is what I'm planning for my next fuel pump setup. The holley HP150 is disappointing me already. Holley used an o-ring seal on one side of the pump's port plate, and a cheap gasket on the other. The gasket, combined with the uneven 3 bolts that clamp it together, is already resulting in leaks!

This is a great thread! I to am somwhat disapointed to hear about the quality fo hte HP150 Holley pump. It looked like a nice alternative.

That truely is sad maybe there get it right yet... It looks to be a good solid pump design but just poorly laid out now..