• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dana 70 pinion seal replace

My Son replaced the D70 in his 99 week before last with a limited slip unit he found at a local salvage.. He and his buddy were having trouble getting the Ujoint cap bolts tight so they opted to swap the yoke off his old axle:think:To make a long story short.. he now has a leaking pinion seal.Does the Dana have a crush sleeve on the pinion like a GM?? If so, any recomendations on how to torque the yoke back without changing the pinion depth??

No, they probably rolled the lip of the old seal in or the lip spring came off when they swapped it, I alway replace the seals if I pull a yoke because more often than not the seal will leak especially if you put a different yoke into a different seal that will always leak from my experience.

• Like 1

No, they probably rolled the lip of the old seal in or the lip spring came off when they swapped it, I alway replace the seals if I pull a yoke because more often than not the seal will leak especially if you put a different yoke into a different seal that will always leak from my experience.

I googled D70 specs and they indicated the pinion has a shimmed preload.. No crush sleeve. Minimum torque spec was 220-330 lbs ft

I googled D70 specs and they indicated the pinion has a shimmed preload.. No crush sleeve. Minimum torque spec was 220-330 lbs ft

You got it, I guess I could have expanded on My "No" lol..:thumbup2: I never torque them, I always tighten the nut down with an impact. After doing it for 20+ years it becomes a "Feel" thing and knowing your tools power. But if you are a weekend warrior then torqueing it is fine but it is hard to hold the pinion and keep things from turning while applying torque by hand.