• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'99 24v wouldn't start

OK a few day ago this happend and I wanted to know your guys thoughts and maybe what you think the problem could be.The truck, '99 3500 4x4 5spd CTD.OK it was about 50* outside, I started the truck, it started like normal, didn't let it warm up or anything. drove about 500 feet and shut it off for about 20 minutes. Tried to start it and it would only crank, didn't try to fire or anything. First I checked all the fuses, under the hood and in the cab, nothing. I then tried taking out the power puck thing, that splices in the plug that goes to the back of the Injector pump. I took it out and still nothing, put it back how it was and nothing. I then went inside and checked on the internet for any info and found that in order for the IP to inject fuel the red and black wires on the plug need to have positive and negitive power, so I went out to the truck and unpluged it again, took my multimeter stuck one probe in one plug and the other in the other. turned the key on and it had power, so I pluged it in and it started! I have started the truck more then a dozen times since then and it has started every time.Could I have scraped some junk away from the plug to where it made contact?Oh and NO check engine light.

Still check for codes. Lots of codes are store WITHOUT a check engine light.. Like the famous P0216 code will not trip a CEL. What your fuel pressure like? Idle, WOT at highway speed and cranking?

I believe FP is good, 14psi cranking and never goes below 10psi. havent looked in a while with the highway WOT. but I did check when I was having the problem and it stayed right at 13-14 psi. OK I will try and get it checked for codes, it's mostly a farm truck so it may not be anytime soon. Thanks ~Brad

• Owner

yes be careful!

Danger Icon DANGER!

DANGER! THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP SUPPLIES EXTREMELY HIGH FUEL PRESSURE TO EACH INDIVIDUAL INJECTOR THROUGH THE HIGH-PRESSURE LINES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE THE SKIN AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND AVOID CONTACT WITH FUEL SPRAY WHEN BLEEDING HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LINES. WARNING: ENGINE MAY START WHILE CRANKING STARTER MOTOR.

This goes a long with this thread.

Warning Icon WARNING!
Very graphic nature

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/6090-Hydraulic-Injection-Injury?highlight=injection+injury