• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

help! tire issues

So i was rolling down the free way today and my tire blew at 65 mph. My tires are 285/75 and i was aware they are rubbing and i think the blow out is due to this i have 16x10's i believe with nitto terra grapplers 285.... is it cause of the offset on the rims that it rubs... these are the rims i have: http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=192660&InfoID=2505&ShowLarge=True&SnipID=4117 I would like to buy the same tire what do i need to do so they wont rub at all? I either have to change my wheel and tire combo to something smaller or im thinking i need a little lift in the front....if i were to lift the front so the whole trucks sits level would this help the tires not rub? The truck is a 1999 dodge cummins 4x4 as the truck sat i always noticed it sag in the front any feed back would help

i dont care about losing the mpg....will a 2 inch lvling kit make the truck sit better? cause right now the front sags a bunch. i want to be able to clear the 285/16/75 with out rubbing does anyone know if the lvling kit will make it so it absolutely doesnt rub?

What were they rubbing on? I have run that same size tire on stock rims and they rub on the upper control arm witch I just heated the rolled lip and bent it down so it wouldn't rub. Not sure of the off set on the rims you have now but a leveling kit may or may not work. I have coil spacers in my 05 and with the ranchhand bumper weight on the front it sits normal looking it raised the front 1/2 inch measuring from center of wheel hub to fender lip, I think most leveling kits Pep the front up too high and then it looks really goofy.

It is rubbing on both sides on the lower part of the fender where the seam is the seam is shredding up my tires i can take a pic if it helps its ripping up the inner fender the plastic and getting at the metal seam im thinking about grinding the seam down and throwing the lvling kit on cause my truck sags in the front end from that cummins weight and age... I hope i dont need to buy new wheels and change the offset cause i cant afford it at this point in time

Jack the frame up in the front about an inch and a half or so and then turn the wheels to one side and see if they still rub, this will tell you if a leveling kit will work or if you have a back spacing issue. Measure from center of hub to fender lip to get the 1.5 inch lift don't measure 1.5 inch at the bumper when jacking the front frame up to relieve the suspension pressure.

so i got a new tire and i put a lvling kit on fixed the brake line and grinded some of the fender and rolled the lip back on it ... if it rubs anymore i am going for cutting of the fender.. thx for all the info btw the truck looks really nice with the lvling kit on it, it sits nice and level now :hyper:

I am trying to figure out why you would run a 285/75 tire on a 10 wide wheel?.It way to much wheel width for the 285/75 and if you like that diameter then I would have run a 305/70 which would have given you the same height and a tire wide enough for a 10 wide wheel. Remember also that a wheel with not enough backspacing and most of its width outside the hub will stress the ball joints and cause them to fail prematurely from the added stress.Yes,they look good when you install the deeper dish wheel,but.,the weight of the front end of our trucks cause the added stress of the front end components.........Andy

Remember also that a wheel with not enough backspacing and most of its width outside the hub will stress the ball joints and cause them to fail prematurely from the added stress.Yes,they look good when you install the deeper dish wheel,but.,the weight of the front end of our trucks cause the added stress of the front end components.........Andy

if i remember....or suppose to measure how much the tire sticks-out(offset?) in stock form. thats what you have to match....if the rim/tire is bigger, the rest needs to be behind the hubs(backspacing). my humvee rims have something like 7" backspacing....to much in front(without spacers)....on the back....they set in more than the stock by an inch... to much offset on the rear puts more stress on the axle bearing, so i have heard:smart: hope that is clear....the holiday nog is strong:cheers: