• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4x4 indicator

Ok my dash indicator for the 4wd is flickering. It comes on when engaged and takes a long time to go out when out of 4wd. It appears to be out since I can not feel the feedback in the steering wheel. It did not have this problem last time I checked it. I just got the truck a couple of months ago. My cruise control works, it does seem to take a little time to change modes but not really long and i have no reference to another truck. I do not have the vac solenoid on the front axle on my truck. Any thoughts? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my dash indicator for the 4wd is flickering. It comes on when engaged and takes a long time to go out when out of 4wd. It appears to be out since I can not feel the feedback in the steering wheel. It did not have this problem last time I checked it. I just got the truck a couple of months ago. My cruise control works, it does seem to take a little time to change modes but not really long and i have no reference to another truck. I do not have the vac solenoid on the front axle on my truck. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hey, I have a dumb question: If you don't have a vac solenoid on the front axle, how does the 4wd work????? I know it's a dumb question!! Your problem sounds like a loose wire somewhere, probably on the switch! Thanks, Winslow

Err should have read closer sorry. without the disconnect on the tube my complete front spins and the connect disconnect takes place in the transfer case. I have the front axle free spin w / warn hubs on hand ready to go just waiting on the install. I have not had the time to look yet not sure if it is a proximity switch or a what. I would guess it could be a simple adjustment. It works ok just light flickering.

Edited by Howie67

• Owner

On like my 2002 the axles and driveshaft spin all the time in the front.. Its disconnected in the Transfer case. On Mom's 96 Dodge Gasser it got CAD so the axle still spin and the front driveshaft will sit idle in 2WD. Either way it wasn't very much to gain in MPG either way... I like my contant hubs because when I pull the stick back it locked no questions asked. Now on the CAD system if the vacuum is working right it might lock it might not. Then it always hangs up on unlocking. CAD was such a PITA...

On like my 2002 the axles and driveshaft spin all the time in the front.. Its disconnected in the Transfer case. On Mom's 96 Dodge Gasser it got CAD so the axle still spin and the front driveshaft will sit idle in 2WD. Either way it wasn't very much to gain in MPG either way... I like my contant hubs because when I pull the stick back it locked no questions asked. Now on the CAD system if the vacuum is working right it might lock it might not. Then it always hangs up on unlocking. CAD was such a PITA...

Hey, What trucks have the CAD, what trucks don't??? I know mine has the CAD, but I didn't realize some didn't!! Is the CAD suppose to get get milage or what??? Thanks, Winslow

The though with CAD system it would reduce the amount of rotational mass and increase MPG's But DC found out there was a very tiny increase with CAD not enough to make the systems any longer. So the simple version was just leave the axle solid and disconnect in the transfer case...

They eliminated the CAD the same time they came with rear disc beakes, the switch was 01.5 and 02.

Hey, Okay thanks for the info!!! I guess I'm not the only one with the CAD!!! But the little I've used it, it seems to work fine!!! And so do many of the rancher's trucks I know about!!!! Thanks, Winslow