• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

stabilizer links, and steering box adustment

The first thing to do is check to make sure the slop is coming from the steering gear box. Loosen the lock nut on the over center adjustment and use an allen wrench to tighten the bolt. Only tighten it 1/4 turn at a time!!!!! If you tighten it too much your steering wheel will be tight in the center and be tough to drive. You can also cause premature wear by over tightening it.

Thanks MnTom, that's what I was going to ask. With over 203K, just had a front end alignment. it seems like I have to oversteer while I'm driving at Hyway speed to turn or keep it in my lane. The adjustment is on the front of the steering box? My truck is not a 4x4, if that matters. Someone made mention to me about putting a steering box brace on, do I need on for a RWD? Adds support to the frame?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave, the adjustment is on the top of the gear box. Make sure you shut the truck off to adjust it (for safety's sake). I don't know about the DSS for a two wheel drive, but I know they make one. Another problem to consider is these trucks have a large span of numbers to be "with in spec" for alignment. I have had mine aligned four times in one year just trying to get somebody who knows how to align these trucks. The last place I went got it close, but I wound up straightening the steering wheel and also put a touch more caster in the left side so it would quit pulling to the right. It does drive better, but not as good as it could. I have not been able to get the numbers that the two wheel drives need to drive good. I do know that most shops don't put enough caster in to hold the road good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I generally tighten them down to where they just start to squish a little.as for sector shaft, I had to adjust mine last weekend. 7/8 turn it took, to get the 10:00-2:00 slop out. There's no binding, and the steering is much better. Although I know I need a new steer gearbox, it'll have to wait.. :spend:

Oh boy, not good news, I'm thinking the same. Where is this sector shaft located?

Dave

Dave, the adjustment is on the top of the gear box. Make sure you shut the truck off to adjust it (for safety's sake). I don't know about the DSS for a two wheel drive, but I know they make one. Another problem to consider is these trucks have a large span of numbers to be "with in spec" for alignment. I have had mine aligned four times in one year just trying to get somebody who knows how to align these trucks. The last place I went got it close, but I wound up straightening the steering wheel and also put a touch more caster in the left side so it would quit pulling to the right. It does drive better, but not as good as it could. I have not been able to get the numbers that the two wheel drives need to drive good. I do know that most shops don't put enough caster in to hold the road good.