• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

stabilizer links, and steering box adustment

I just put on two new stabilizer links on the front. No problem installing them except for knowing how much to tighten the nut down on the bushings. They tightened easily until I ran out of threads. Is there a proper squish value on the bushings? I also tighten sector shaft adjustment on the steering box about 1/8 turn and it seems to be working better on the test drive here at home. I am leaving for Indiana shortly and will put it to the test then.

I am not sure I could have reached 25 pounds, they just cranked down fairly easy until I ran out of threads. The truck rode and handled much better with the new ones. My truck has always had an issue with bump steering, not bad, just bad enough to freak you out every once in a while. I put Max Links on about 3 years ago and dont remember much difference. I rebuilt the front end about 1.5 years ago and that did make a difference. You could feel it want to bump steer but the effect was reduced by 80% or 90%. With the new links I never once felt any bump steer on my 630 mile ride last night. I74 and I70 in Indiana will beat you to death. quite happy with the results. I was surprised the links make as big a difference as I thought it was steering geometry that caused bump steering and I did not know the links played that big a part. Adjusting the steering box helped with my steering. It reduced the amount of input to maintain straight line steering. I not even sure I turned the adjuster 1/8 of a turn. I used to have a Chevy S-10 that i did this to but turned way more than 1/8 turn. It worked great in the driveway, steered a whole easier(manual steering). Took it out on the road a whipped around my first turn and let go of the wheel and no steering return:stuned:. That will wake you up. No issues with that this time. Every thing else works just fine.

Upper link torque spec = 35 ft lbslower link nut torque spec 27 ft lbs Your probably fine where your at, the only negative I could see with over torquing is the bushings possibly splitting a little sooner than normal but one would have to be grossly over zealous with the wrench, IMO

Thanks. I just kept tightening them expecting more resistance. They never seemed to offer anymore resistance until I ran out of threads. They are squished pretty good. i will check them when I get home again.

This is what i used http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1284232&cc=1440064 . Definitely low on the price end, but they worked. I will just have to see how long they last.

Dripley, What made you replace these? My truck has some interesting noises and some bump steer as well. Ive checked everything out and it all seems tight. I know my pass. side u-joint is on it's way out but other than that nothings seems bad. I really would like to fix it. So if this is a known issue up front, well I'll add that to my list lol.

Dripley, What made you replace these? My truck has some interesting noises and some bump steer as well. Ive checked everything out and it all seems tight. I know my pass. side u-joint is on it's way out but other than that nothings seems bad. I really would like to fix it. So if this is a known issue up front, well I'll add that to my list lol.

The bushings were getting worn out and it also appeared that the nuts on top had backed off a little and there was play in one side. When I tried to tighten them i could hardly turn them so I just got some new ones. I had a hell of time getting them off. somebody did not use anti seize when they were installed:whistle:. Curing the bump steer was a happy by product of replacement, I was not expecting that.
  • Like 1

I just put on two new stabilizer links on the front. No problem installing them except for knowing how much to tighten the nut down on the bushings. They tightened easily until I ran out of threads. Is there a proper squish value on the bushings? I also tighten sector shaft adjustment on the steering box about 1/8 turn and it seems to be working better on the test drive here at home. I am leaving for Indiana shortly and will put it to the test then.

I generally tighten them down to where they just start to squish a little. as for sector shaft, I had to adjust mine last weekend. 7/8 turn it took, to get the 10:00-2:00 slop out. There's no binding, and the steering is much better. Although I know I need a new steer gearbox, it'll have to wait.. :spend:

• 3 months later...

A little update on the links I used. While the link itself seems just fine, the bushings just fell apart. Maybe because I tightened them to much i dont know. So i put some new bushings in there, one set from Raybestos and another set from Advance Auto(drive works?). Seems my ordering clerk:whistle: only ordered one set instead of two. So now I have one blue set and one black set. We will see which one holds up better. I did not tighten these as much, just till the squished together a little.

I have not said anything to them as of yet. Kind of figured I over tightened. When I installed them there was so little resistance on the nut that I doubt I could have gotten 10# of torque on them. I just turned them until they bottomed out with ease. Still have the old bushings and will make contact with them and see what they say. They have a five year warranty, so we will see what they say.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The first thing to do is check to make sure the slop is coming from the steering gear box. Loosen the lock nut on the over center adjustment and use an allen wrench to tighten the bolt. Only tighten it 1/4 turn at a time!!!!! If you tighten it too much your steering wheel will be tight in the center and be tough to drive. You can also cause premature wear by over tightening it.

• Like 2