• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

crank sensor replacement help

So the past few days when I drive my truck The tach will sometimes bounce around until i let off and it idles then it will work and stay perfect still. Then I go to give is gas again and it works then all of a sudden bounces around then works. But just yesterday it seemed it was idling a little more i guess choppy than normal then seemed to run better later on after it was shut off. I put a code reader on it and got p0336 which is crank sensor A circuit range/performance. Also got p1690 which is a guess a communication error with the ECM and crank sensor I think. So should I just replace my crank sensor? Is there anything special you have to do other than remove the starter? cause i can see it its right behind it. thanks for any advice

I would remove neg. cables first. Other then that no speical items. Did mine 6 months ago no more problem with tach. Maybe instal a set of larry B's starter contacts while starter is off truck. Mine was not having any problems but did any ways. Glad I did the contacts where half gone. Saved myself trouble down the road. Geno's also has the contacts about 60.00' easy install.

I think I had those same codes when I was installing my fuel system and the new wiring harness for the carter pump and hobbs switch. Choppy idle and tach bouncing but fine when I was driving...I'm sure Michael will chime in but a wiring or electrical issue could be present. PS, as stated above, if you take the starter off a rebuild kit from Genos is worth it!

• Owner

So the past few days when I drive my truck The tach will sometimes bounce around until i let off and it idles then it will work and stay perfect still. Then I go to give is gas again and it works then all of a sudden bounces around then works. But just yesterday it seemed it was idling a little more i guess choppy than normal then seemed to run better later on after it was shut off. I put a code reader on it and got p0336 which is crank sensor A circuit range/performance. Also got p1690 which is a guess a communication error with the ECM and crank sensor I think. So should I just replace my crank sensor? Is there anything special you have to do other than remove the starter? cause i can see it its right behind it. thanks for any advice

I would start with the crank sensor first... Typically the P1690 code comes from lack of crank sensor signal.

P0336

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/175-p0336-crankshaft-position-sensor-signal

P1690

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/229-p1690-vp44-ckp-sensor-does-not-agree-with-ecm-ckp-sensor