• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VGT turbo's good or bad?

So today myself and my father was at a diesel station filling up the truck in my sig when a 2013 dodge CC Dually cummins 6spd was coming down the road gearing down the truck obviously was stright piped. Truck sounded great and looked amazing till that horrible VGT-turbo jet sound blared out the exhaust pipe. My dad thought the brake's were squealing on it till i told him about the VGT's ( Man is out of his element with diesel's lol Gasser through and through). In his word's "it sounded like a powderchoke or Duralax not like a Cummin's and i won't buy one if they gotta sound like that mess." So i have it in my plan's to buy a used 2013 next year but if that is what they will sound like it will detour me back to getting a second 2nd gen Cummin's. So is the VGT a good idea for towing/Hauling if you own one is it that bad in the cab and is it possible to replace the turbo with a non-VGT turbo thanks all look forward to your replies

So i have it in my plan's to buy a used 2013 next year but if that is what they will sound like it will detour me back to getting a second 2nd gen Cummin's.

AND if you get rid of your truck in the process, let me know, as I would buy yours!

• Staff

I don't beleive there are any delete kit's for the '13s yet, and the VGT noise shouldn't be audible thru all the crap in the exhaust. Are you sure it wasn't a deleted '10-'12?The VGT with no, or minimal, mufflering is noise with the exhaust brake on. There isn't a way around that.

• 3 weeks later...

I say go for it!!I have an '06 with a Jacobs on it. I have a very straight exhaust now and yes you do hear the hissing with the exhaust brake. It only takes a couple of times of using it and having it slow you down to getting to liking it and not worrying about the hissing.......

I've been really considering picking one up for my 98 For a mild upgrade. From what Ive seen advertised I could get a good used vgt and 6.7 Manifold for 300 to 400 dollars and a stand a lone controller for roughly the same. So for around 800 bucks I could have an upgraded turbo and an exhaust brake. Just wish I could see it in a 2nd gen truck to see how it performs and if it would be worth the money.