• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starting problems once the engine warms up

Have been having more and more issues starting the engine once it warms up. Truck starts right away (barely turns over and its running) when cold but once it gets warm I have to crank it several times and even once had to use starting fluid to get it going. Was wondering if I somehow got some diesel with gasoline in it and the gas was vapor locking but its all pure pump fuel. The VP is about a year old and new injectors in the engine. Never had any issue with it during the fall/winter/spring but it sure is making things difficult now.Any ideas or suggestions? Thx, FT

Couple of tests to try. once the truck is hot and turned off unplug the wiring harness to the fuel pump and try starting, it should start fine because there will be no fuel pressure to the vp44, then plug the harness back and it should hard start because you now have pressure going to the vp44 this is where mikes relay comes into play or try using a garden hose to cool the vp44 off when its hot and see if the truck starts better after it has been cooled. if it starts better after these two test you need a new injector pump.

Mike,Just drove the truck and it started like it always does... cold. First click of the starter and its fired up and running.Let it sit for 2-3 hours (dinner) and tried it again and it turns over very fast like its trying but no luck. Fuel pressure is 2-3 pounds when I first hit the starter, or up to 20 or so on the second try of the starter, so no luck either with or without fuel pressure in the system. Why would the diaphram stop it from starting when warm yet once the truck is running it drives fine? Just a slight spray of starting fluid and its running fine.Hunter,Its a bear to get to the connections on the fuel pump, especially when the pavement is 140 degrees here in the Arizona summer. I have a Raptor 100 mounted under the truck to the frame rails, so not easy to get to.The VP-44 is about a year old. Any ideas why you feel that it could be bad? I can see it on an old VP with a well used circuit board but one less than a year old?? Thanks,FT

Mike, Just drove the truck and it started like it always does... cold. First click of the starter and its fired up and running. Let it sit for 2-3 hours (dinner) and tried it again and it turns over very fast like its trying but no luck. Fuel pressure is 2-3 pounds when I first hit the starter, or up to 20 or so on the second try of the starter, so no luck either with or without fuel pressure in the system. Why would the diaphram stop it from starting when warm yet once the truck is running it drives fine? Just a slight spray of starting fluid and its running fine. Hunter, Its a bear to get to the connections on the fuel pump, especially when the pavement is 140 degrees here in the Arizona summer. I have a Raptor 100 mounted under the truck to the frame rails, so not easy to get to. The VP-44 is about a year old. Any ideas why you feel that it could be bad? I can see it on an old VP with a well used circuit board but one less than a year old?? Thanks, FT

many vps come back "newly rebuilt" with old boards. only a few dealers actually ensure a new board. other than that you are taking your chances. i think you have a new reman pump with old board and need a new pump from a good dealer. places that have remans with new boards,blue chip diesel, DAP i think and others will chime in on the list.

• Owner

Fuel pressure is low for cranking acts like a air leak right off. But strange part it not there cold after sitting all night. Cranking pressure should be 7-12 roughly. As for the diaphragm it make it hypersensitive to fuel pressure cranking. Something about timing is involved with this diaphragm. As for the used board it a fairly slim chance of it. If the pump came in with a mechanical failure like P0216 code then the electronics are re-used but if it had P1689, P0215, P0251, etc. Then the electronics are replaced. In either event the electronics have to pass 3 hours of a Bosch 815 Test Stand before even being program and ready for sale. So the electronics failure is pretty slim.

many vps come back "newly rebuilt" with old boards. only a few dealers actually ensure a new board. other than that you are taking your chances. i think you have a new reman pump with old board and need a new pump from a good dealer. places that have remans with new boards,blue chip diesel, DAP i think and others will chime in on the list.

Pump on the truck right now was purchased brand new VP-44 from Jacob (very nice people BTW) at DAP Diesel Auto Parts (HOVP44 BOSCH VP44 High Output for 245HP. Fits 6-speed Manual) and I bought it on 25 May 2012, delivered on 31 May and installed a few weeks later.

Calling them right now to see (but I doubt it) about the warranty. Only good news is that I usually purchase large ticket items like this on my AmEx card and that doubles the existing warranty. Just found the receipt and it was charged using the AmEx card, so whatever warranty is normal may be doubled... now to see what kind of warranty they gave me on this! EDIT Finally got through to AmEx and they say that "car parts" are not covered. Guess I am not using AmEx for truck parts anymore! :(

EDIT, Mike, the truck is throwing no codes as all. Checked several times and I have a Scangauge that would show it. Truthfully its been "acting up" for a good month now but would eventually start. Only in the last week would it refuse to start at all when warm. If I had any idea that it was really the VP and that it was going out I would have called DAP but just thought it was some screwy fuel and that I could live with it.

Second EDIT Calling Diesel Auto Parts and it goes to voice mail everytime I call, so guessing that everyone is off for the 4th. Oh well, guess I am grounded for the weekend and hope someone from DAP sees this thread!

Thx,

FT

- - - Updated - - -

Well I did hear back from DAP but not good news. They will not budge a day or even minute on the 1 year warranty. Said that its the makers warranty and not theirs.

They did say that they had some "good take off pumps" but am a bit suspect as you never know what you are getting. As well they want $550 for them and to tell the truth I do not even have that kind of money after the $$ I have put into this truck in the last 12-18 months. I emailed them back this morning asking for more details on the pumps (would they have one that would fit a 6 speed model, which evidently is different from the 4 or 5 speed versions) and no reply so far.

If its going to continue to be a money pit may have to sell it and get a PowerStroke. Do not like the trucks as much but I simply cannot afford to keep shelling out a good $1000 every year for something new on this thing.

Well wanted to update the thread. No changes on this end. I received an email from DAP at 10:09 on Friday and I replied back 45 minutes later asking for more info on their "take off's" VP44's that they offered to me in the email. Then followed it up by another email at 17:25 that afternoon saying "Hey guys, Emailed the below reply at 11:00 this morning and did not hear back from anyone... No luck calling so what should I do next? Thx," I had tried to call earlier that day and no answer, then tried again later and same thing, no answer even though in the email they said please call back if you want to "get some tech support from Sterling." So far, over two business days later have not received a reply from anyone at Diesel Auto Power. Guess they do not want my business or that customer service is not their strong point. Sad thing is that I went with them at the recommendation of several posters on this forum after being told "they really take care of their customers!" Sure wish that this had been the case... Does anyone know of a company here in the states who sells a VP44 at a price normal people can afford that has a new electronics board in it? I simply cannot afford to do this every year and need something that will last a while. The truck is stuck sitting in the street now...Thx, FT

Well wanted to update the thread. No changes on this end. I received an email from DAP at 10:09 on Friday and I replied back 45 minutes later asking for more info on their "take off's" VP44's that they offered to me in the email. Then followed it up by another email at 17:25 that afternoon saying "Hey guys, Emailed the below reply at 11:00 this morning and did not hear back from anyone... No luck calling so what should I do next? Thx," I had tried to call earlier that day and no answer, then tried again later and same thing, no answer even though in the email they said please call back if you want to "get some tech support from Sterling." So far, over two business days later have not received a reply from anyone at Diesel Auto Power. Guess they do not want my business or that customer service is not their strong point. Sad thing is that I went with them at the recommendation of several posters on this forum after being told "they really take care of their customers!" Sure wish that this had been the case... Does anyone know of a company here in the states who sells a VP44 at a price normal people can afford that has a new electronics board in it? I simply cannot afford to do this every year and need something that will last a while. The truck is stuck sitting in the street now... Thx, FT

Try this website and give them a call - http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/

• 2 months later...

An update to everyone on this thread. The old VP was toast and finally gave up and bought a new one. No, not from DAP as they have not answered ONE of my emails or phone calls to them. Sorry guys but some of you might have had good customer service from them but not on this end. At least they could have answered ONE phone call or email, but just silence. Will never buy anything from them again and suggest you guys do the same. Got a rebuilt VP-44 from Conestoga Diesel in PA. They have an excellent reputation on the OilBurners board and a friend of mine knows the owner Mel fairly well. They gave me a 1 year guarantee and told me "if you have issues at 13-14 months, we will not abandon you like others will" so am giving them a try. Their communication is excellent, responding to emails and calls within 15 minutes and very helpful. http://conestogadiesel.com/home.html Installed the new VP yesterday morning (3.5 hours of fun in the driveway!). Truck drives great, starts hot or cold and fuel mileage is even up a bit!