• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil leaking out Crankcase Vent

My 98.5 is losing lots of oil when I make it work(over 2000 rpm). It is comming out vent tube, but my vent is at the back not the front....it has many miles and cant afford a motor job right now...can I reroute the vent so it can dump back in motor?thank you I am new to the site

• Owner

can I reroute the vent so it can dump back in motor?

No. The vent is there to vent off blow-by gases of the engine. I would do the basics right now double check your valve lash and do a compression test to see where your at. Sound like you already have the TSB modifed tappet cover.

it has many miles and cant afford a motor job right now

What's the odometer reading? Another question are you running a washable air filter like a K&N, S&B, AFe, etc?

No. The vent is there to vent off blow-by gases of the engine. I would do the basics right now double check your valve lash and do a compression test to see where your at. Sound like you already have the TSB modifed tappet cover. What's the odometer reading? Another question are you running a washable air filter like a K&N, S&B, AFe, etc?

340 000 kms and no just a normal air filter

• Owner

211266 miles. These engine are typically good for 1 Million miles. So I would back track now and look and see why the oil loss valve train (valve lash) or compression issues. Another good question is the compressor wheel of the turbo clean or dusty looking? I gather you've got a stock air box still have to checked for dust leaks typically leave a dust trail on the lid.

211266 miles. These engine are typically good for 1 Million miles. So I would back track now and look and see why the oil loss valve train (valve lash) or compression issues. Another good question is the compressor wheel of the turbo clean or dusty looking? I gather you've got a stock air box still have to checked for dust leaks typically leave a dust trail on the lid.

Yes still stock air box, ok i will do those steps, also i just replaced crank seal and cover! Was leaking badly

My 98.5 is losing lots of oil when I make it work(over 2000 rpm). It is comming out vent tube, but my vent is at the back not the front....it has many miles and cant afford a motor job right now...can I reroute the vent so it can dump back in motor?

thank you I am new to the site

I use the Fleetguard Enviroguard Kit since 2006 without a drop of oil form the vent. The vent is still there to vent the engine but all the oil drains back to the engine via a duplicate oil dipstick tube which is plugged at the factory. I am sure they will have a kit for your engine attached is my kit for 1998 -2002. My original problem was engine downward in our steep driveway - the oil would climb the gears on front of engine and deposit out the vent.[ATTACH]5906[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

I use the Fleetguard Enviroguard Kit since 2006 without a drop of oil form the vent. The vent is still there to vent the engine but all the oil drains back to the engine via a duplicate oil dipstick tube which is plugged at the factory. I am sure they will have a kit for your engine attached is my kit for 1998 -2002. My original problem was engine downward in our steep driveway - the oil would climb the gears on front of engine and deposit out the vent.[ATTACH]5906[/ATTACH]

Edit: Also the other version. [ATTACH]5907[/ATTACH]

SB_LT32514.pdf

SB_LT32511.pdf