• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smells like Clutch time

Today I drove into town about an hour drive. When I got there I stopped and it smelled like I had left the park brake on. I know that was not the case just what it smelled like brake material or clutch material. So here we go .... :$: Tue the truck goes in for some service. I'm getting my rv 275s installed, valves adjusted, mbrp 4" installed, Edge Juice w/Attitude installed, front end done ball joints, track bar, etc... the works. At that time I will have the free spin kit installed I got from DLux thanks Erik :woot:. I am getting a good deal at the shop so I am letting them do the easy stuff too. I have a torn tendon in my left shoulder so im out of options for the next few months or so. So I guess I need a clutch so with the options listed do you guys think I need a DD? I don't want to blow a lot of cash on it as i just did on everything else, but if it is a absolute necessity it would not pay to try to go cheap and then pay again later. I plan to use this truck to pull a 5th wheel. I don't have one yet but am looking at them a lot. Probably around 12-15k but as there are tons available out there I would take a bigger one if i could get it a good price. I guess that should be enough info on the issue and needs. Any suggestions? Thanks, Curt

• Owner

I'm running a Southbend Con OFE single disk clutch without a problem with Edge Comp on 5x5 and Rv275 injectors (when they were installed). The tires broke loose before the clutch did. That another nice factor to having 235/85 R16 better fuel mileage but easier to break loose and over sized clutches not required!

Mike, thanks. I think from what I have read that both SB And V make a good product and both seem to have good support. How much is the stock unit rated , do you know? Just wondering how much more some of these are vs the stock unit.

Are you 100% sure you didn't have a brake dragging??? Were you "getting on it" to make the clutch slip???If you truly need a clutch, I've also got the SB Con OFE. It's the real deal. It's not made to do boosted launches, it's more designed for the hardcore towing guys.......like myself. It's night and day better than the stocker. Probably run around $750 give or take, not including install.

well im pretty sure. It is difficult to shift need to stomp the pedal to the floor to get it to go. I tested it and was coasting with no problems but was not necessarily getting on it. I noticed a wierd feeling pulling up a silght grade in 6th. Nothing drastic just a strange feeling. I was pushing the pedal to the floor to see if i could duplicate but did not notice a jump in the tac but the accel seemed a bit weak. I stopped at my next stop and that is when i had the smell and it smelled like that for a long time. I had a doc appt and was in there for close to an hour and whe I got out it still smelled not so much but noticable. I will get the park brake checked but I just figured it was par for the course. Used truck with a gooseneck ball and it has some wear and tear. axle seals, clunk in the drive line hopefully will go away after pinion seal is done and retorqued, lift pump crapped out 3rd day i had it. did the vp since it appeared stock and did not want to risk it. supposed good tires were not so 6 new gy sa :$: :$:. Purchased online i know its a gamble looks like i came out on the short end but it was still 4k cheaper than I could have got local or even near local. Least i know now whats what. :rolleyes2:

• Owner

Mike, thanks. I think from what I have read that both SB And V make a good product and both seem to have good support. How much is the stock unit rated , do you know? Just wondering how much more some of these are vs the stock unit.

Stock is rated for about 400 HP at the flywheel... SB Con OFE is rated for abot 450-500 at the flywheel...

Hey,I like my Valair Kevlar/ Ceramic 3400 single disc clutch!!!:wink:I called up Valair and talked to Dan! He took the time to listen to me and help decide which clutch I needed for my use!!! It is pretty smooth (can be a little grabby), seems to hold very well!! I've pulled a 24' goose and it seems to do fine, just takes a little getting used to it!!!!:burnout:I'll find out how it does with my new 150 hp injectors and my Edge! It is rated for 500 hp/ 1000 ft-lbs! :tease:I would give Dan at Valair a call!!! He gives pretty good deals to Cummins Forum members just to let you know!!!!!!:thumbsup:Later,Winslow