• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

delayed wait to start light

ok i have a problem with my 98.5 24v dodge 2500..... :banghead::banghead: right now i would love to set the truck on fire and roll it down a hill... but since i just joined here and would like to see if anyone can help me... so truck has been perfect since i replaced my first vp44 and lp other then some trans problems which was an easy fix and putting suspension parts on it to make it drive alittle better shes been no problem.... im use to getting into a diesel turning the key on waiting for the wts light (Wait to start) to come on then go off and then u crank... well i finnally got my buddy to plug in his smarty set my truck to a level 2 and then back to stock so i have the high idle feature... now after that my one headlight went out but it was just a bulb so dont think its relavant but when he flashed it i got some trouble codes i dont know what they are bc we just cleared them thinking is was just from the flash... now when i get in my truck my wait to start light is delayed but heres the catch only every now and then it is not a everyday problem.... sometimes it does and sometimes it does not come on right away... if it dont come on right way truck will not start... have no problem other then that plus if u dont wait till it comes on truck will not start....plz someone tell me some things to try before replacing ecm i heard it is not cheap:banghead::banghead::cry:plus the friend that flashed it for me i gave him 20 bucks for doing it i hope i dint just pay to blow my ecm up

• Owner

I heard of this before. There is a few ECM from 98.5 to 99 that are not Smarty capable and tend to take on flash damage. Your delay to the WAIT TO START is because of the ECM is not booting up in a timely matter so the ECM software isn't functional till the WAIT TO START even gets lit up. The only way to fix it is to replace the ECM. If the WAIT TO START light was blown or damaged there would be a P0381 code.

• Like 1

The drivers in the ECM can be week as well, It fried the ecm on my 02 during the 2nd Smarty download and while going between Marco himself and Bob Wagner trying to figure it out my preheater light didn't come on at all after that which according to Marco from Smarty is the sign of a dead ECM, they did overnight another to me at their cost which was very generous of them.

• Like 1