• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another ScanGauge II question or 2

Hello, just joined the other day but member of CF also; my first post here.A buddy of mine at work is offering to sell me his SGII for $100. So far most of the functions seem to work. I have all the correct engine and fuel data, etc. set up. Completed 2 fillups. The SGII website recommends to set up the gauges to read the following for monitoring fuel economy: XX.XAVG X.X GPHXX.XMPG X.XX TFCI cannot seem to get to the avg mpg or tfc gauge while in the gauge section...Also, when in the mpg gauge, I just watched the MPG jump around from 16 on up to 350 mpg (I wish). I double checked my settings to verify, all was correct. Is the SGII itself faulty, or am I doing something wrong?Should I reset all the settings to default and start from scratch, or should I just do something different than what I'm doing now? Thanks in advance for any tips/help, etc.WatieI just saw need to edit my sig for my truck, but for time being it's a1999 2500 4X4, all stock, 2nd lift/VP44, 265 75/16 tiresQuad Cab, Short Wheel Base

Edited by Lone Watie

Welcome to the site. It might be best to set it to default. You don't know what your friend entered into it. The MPG that shows is correct. Mine will go upto 9999. That is what your truck is currently obtaining at that precise moment. You use that gauge as well as the AVG gauge. When you are driving you want that MPG gauge higher than the AVG gauge. As for what else you asked, are you trying to make additional x-gauges? Mike knows the ScanGauge very well. He has a couple of videos of the gauge as well. He'll set you up when he gets on line.

Thanks for the reply - I cannot seem to get to the avg gauge, the pic in the SGII quick start guide shows the avg mpg stacked on top of the mpg gauge, but no matter which order I put the gauges in, I cannot see/find an avg mpg gauge or a total fuel cost gauge/tfc. I'm sure there's something simple, and was hoping to get it working before my 60 mile drive to work tonight. Thanks again, and look forward to taking part in discussions here.

I think my question might be confusing a little - basically I want to see the average mpg gauge (avg mpg) and the total fuel cost gauge (TFC) but cannot find them when I press the gauge button and cycle through the different gauges. The only way I can see the AVG MPG is to get at it through the trip functions. I filled up last night, completed the second fill up function, and it did seem to read/calculate my correct fuel addition fairly close. Any help is always appreciated.Thanks.

• Owner

Hello, just joined the other day but member of CF also; my first post here. A buddy of mine at work is offering to sell me his SGII for $100. So far most of the functions seem to work. I have all the correct engine and fuel data, etc. set up. Completed 2 fillups. The SGII website recommends to set up the gauges to read the following for monitoring fuel economy: XX.XAVG X.X GPH XX.XMPG X.XX TFC I cannot seem to get to the avg mpg or tfc gauge while in the gauge section... Also, when in the mpg gauge, I just watched the MPG jump around from 16 on up to 350 mpg (I wish). I double checked my settings to verify, all was correct. Is the SGII itself faulty, or am I doing something wrong? Should I reset all the settings to default and start from scratch, or should I just do something different than what I'm doing now? Thanks in advance for any tips/help, etc. Watie I just saw need to edit my sig for my truck, but for time being it's a 1999 2500 4X4, all stock, 2nd lift/VP44, 265 75/16 tires Quad Cab, Short Wheel Base

Ok the MPG is the instant MPG number for that moment in time. I see number ranging from 0 MPG at WOT to 9999 at full coasting. This is normal. For my high mark numbers I try and keep the MPG number at about 25-30 MPG or higher. Then you notice the Todays number creeping up.. This will push the Total up but slowly. As for the AVG MPG and Total Fuel Cost you got to setup the XGauge in the SGII. Now when you setup you should setup both Today's MPG and Total MPG gauges so you can see how todays travels effect the total MPG number.

Thanks for the reply - I cannot seem to get to the avg gauge, the pic in the SGII quick start guide shows the avg mpg stacked on top of the mpg gauge, but no matter which order I put the gauges in, I cannot see/find an avg mpg gauge or a total fuel cost gauge/tfc. I'm sure there's something simple, and was hoping to get it working before my 60 mile drive to work tonight. Thanks again, and look forward to taking part in discussions here.

When your build the gauges in XGauge you have the choice of labels (3 character labels) so go back and check and see what your labels are... I normally take the extra time and use 1 Capatial letter and 2 lower case to show XGauges that way they don't get lost in the pile.

Anyone out there that can help a brother out with this? Just trying to determine if this thing is working correctly is all. Thanks.

Sorry I missed out on your thread I've been out for 2 days working and travel to Lewiston, ID for my RV275 Injectors but I'm back..:rolleyes:

Thanks much for the explanation; it's all starting to make a little more sense now. If have time before work I'll set up an x-gauge for the avg and tfc, and see how it goes. I hate to pass up on paying my buddy from work $100 for this as he's only had it a few months, got a new car, and doesn't use it anymore (30 mpg on his outback). Again, thanks, and look forward to participating here on your forum.

Well, it would have helped had I read the manual completely, than I wouldn't have been so lost with this. Created a few x-gauges for average, distance, fuel used, and total cost, just went on a quick ride to check them out. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Now I have couple other questions for you:My average seems a bit high 27.8 so far, and I still see the dynamic mpg jumping all over the place. Should I build an x-gauge for today's mpg, rather than use the dynamic mpg already supplied, or rather than use the tank average? What would be best? Thanks.

My average can go way out of wack. I have a couple of really big hills that I coast down and that changes the figure a lot. The dynamic one will continually jump depending on how you drive. Depends how accurate you want to be. Using only the tank gauge will have a lot of variance closer to the full mark and less varaince as you put on the miles. So yes, the today one would be better. The only problem will be you remembering all the X-gauges you made! LOL

Thanks for the info - I'll play around a little tomorrow with making a today for my drive to work tomorrow night. My biggest problem right now is wanting to fill up after every 120mi round trip to work, I guess I have to let it get on down to 1/4 tank like the manual says. On a positive note, doing a hand calc of mpg last night, having been using some 2 cycle, I got a 19.3 average, using 2 trips to work and back (120 mi), one at 75mph, and the second at 65. My goal is to get a 20 - we'll see. I'm keeping more data tracked on my iphone and paper than I ever did as a blackhawk helicopter maintenance test pilot. Something to do on my long haul to work and back, I guess. Thanks again.

I made up my x-gauges for the average mpg, etc, and one for horsepower, and I'm still seeing some pretty crazy numbers coming off the dynamic and average mpg, as in the dynamic is jumping all over the place, it seems to go in a circuit of anywhere from down in the single digits all the way up to over 1000mpg, and then back down. Anyway, this is effecting the average mpg, which is spitting out a number in the mid 30's, which in turn is telling me I can drive over 1000 miles on a tank (I wish). Also, my horsepower numbers aren't anywhere near yours (Mopar1973Man, that is), they are down in the teens. Do you think there's something wrong with this unit, or is my ECM just putting garbage out to it? My overhead computer is more in line with actual calculations, even with the larger diameter tire on her (265/75/16). I'm trying to determine whether I should give my buddy from work $100 for this thing or not. The IAT, Water temp, and RPM numbers are all in line with what I'm seeing on the dash (except for the IAT, which tonight on way to work with temp around 32 F my IAT was at 85 F, even with my makeshift duct tape on the grill winter front until I can fabricate my sheet metal this week for a more permanent front. Just looking to see if this thing will work with my truck is all. Maybe 99's ECMs don't keep up with the data demands from the scan gauge as well as later models.Also, as a side note concerning the mpg issue, my gph is way down there in the 2-3 gph range, which is totally incorrect. Any thoughts appreciated, especially anyone running one of these ScanGauges on a 99 stock motor.\ThanksOne more thing, my TPS on the scangauge is reading anywhere from 12-18 cruising between 65-75mph, does this number seem correct? Could it be my APPS is out or range and might need recalibrated?Also question Mike - is there a reason you used the gasoline horsepower x-gauge command v. the diesel? Maybe that's why my HP is not correct.

Edited by Lone Watie